Existing Member?

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Istanbul - a charming surprise

TURKEY | Friday, 21 September 2012 | Views [628]

Sade's traditional Turkish coffee

Sade's traditional Turkish coffee

If the airport was anything to go by Istanbul was going to be a challenge. Rude visa staff barking orders and demanding US dollars despite the sign on the window saying pounds were accepted. Never ending queues to get through passport control with no real order, people just crowded together jostling for the next spot, the stuffy airport heat making the wait more uncomfortable.

 

Istanbul however was a surprising city and one I would go back to a well as making it onto the ‘I could live here’ list. It’s a city full of history, winding cobbled stone streets throughout the old city, delicious food with 101 different ways to cook eggplant (heaven for an eggplant lover like myself) and clean streets, a nice change from many of Europe’s other major tourist cities where rubbish and graffiti cover the streets.

 

The city was a view into the past with grand palaces, giant mosques and insights into ancient civilisation still present from the Ottoman Empire when Sultan’s reigned. While there was always something to see or do it was also nice to relax on the roof top terrace, an amazing view of the impressive Blue Mosque on one side and the Marmara Sea on the other with a cool sea breeze often blowing.

 

The city was both modern, with its shopping strips in Taksim square, and charmingly old with the grand bazars and traditional Turkish bath houses.

 

To visit Turkey and not experience a traditional bath house service would be a sin and it is an interesting experience to say the least. Women and men are separated and after getting changed into a cotton robe I found myself walking into a huge marble, stone, domed room built in 1584 where I was requested to lay on the giant round stone slab along with the other women to let my pours open. Old Turkish ladies walk around performing the cleaning process one woman at a time.  After sweating profusely for 20 minutes it was my turn to be exfoliated like never before. My skin was scrubbed raw all over by an old Turkish lady who then enveloped me in bubble bath washing me from head to toe before depositing me in a refreshing plunge pool. I walked out feeling cleaner then I had in weeks, the stress of previous travel completely gone and my skin thoroughly scrubbed and clean, ready for the next stop on my trip. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.