Existing Member?

Scientist on the Loose

MOM - DON"T READ THIS ONE

USA | Thursday, 8 October 2009 | Views [752] | Comments [4]

I have only a few hours left in Cape Town and decided to head down to Long Street from my hostel, as I have done, alone, several times since staying here.  Today's experience, however, was a bit different. On the short jaunt down the hill the 4 small blocks to Long Street I was approached by a young boy about 14.  He asked me for money.  I had been very careful up until this point to carry some small bills in one pocket, and larger bills in a separate pocket.  When I was approached, however, I could not remember which pocket had what.  Also, it was broad daylight so I really wasn't expecting for someone to ask me for money as they usually only approach people at night.  I was also told not to give them money because they would just ask for more and more and then assault you if they thought you were holding out on them.

When I told the kid that I didn't have any cash on me he became agitated. I frantically began to pat my pockets, trying to figure out which one had the small bills...I didn't want him to think I was wealthy and try to steal my bag (which had my passport, health card, and credit cards in it).  That's when he said to me, "I almost had to stab that guy for trying to make a fool out of me," pointing to a guy just down the street, "give me your money."

I reached into my pants pocket, grabbed a handful of change, the equivalent of about $10, and poured it into his hands telling him it was all I had and I was very sorry.

He smiled, turned to me and said, "God bless you," then turned and walked away.

As I type this I'm still a little freaked out...needless to say I'll be taking a taxi back to the hostel when I leave the cafe.

Comments

1

I am so glad you are safe! That is really crazy!

  Christy Brush Oct 9, 2009 8:35 AM

2

You've always had a thing for younger men with questionable finances. Did you ask this kid out for coffee?

  jmw Oct 10, 2009 5:49 AM

3

All I can say is wow.......gone are the days I could ground you....be safe and I love you. Send more pics when you can. And remember, Taxis are a good thing!!

  Mom Oct 16, 2009 1:59 AM

4

Tracy, wow, what an experience. I'm glad you are ok, and I hope that is your only one of that nature on this trip! Char forwarded me the link to your site...this is SO cool. What an amazing trip! Take care and be safe!

  Adrianne Angle Oct 16, 2009 12:35 PM

About tracy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.