Existing Member?

Scientist on the Loose

Cape Point Tour

USA | Thursday, 8 October 2009 | Views [892] | Comments [1]

Yesterday I headed out on a day tour to Cape Point, the place where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic...and one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I awoke that morning to rain pounding against the window in my dorm room, not the best day to head out on a tour that included a boat ride, a bike ride, and a long hike; but I decided to take my chances.  There were only four of us on the trip, an American and aspiring photographer from Vermont named Justin, a couple from London (he is a lawyer who grew up in Botswana - although his wife was quick to point out that he only lived there until he was 11; she, a doctor).  Our tour guide, Isaac, was hilarious and had an incredibly dry sense of humor.  For the first few hours, we couldn't tell if he was kidding or not...and his stories had us in stitches.  Minas (the doctor) was convinced he was serious when he told us that he's not supposed to drink when he takes people on the wine tours, but he can't resist brandy and believes he is a much better driver and guide after he's had a few.  I'm pretty sure he was kidding...then again, you never know.

We followed the Atlantic Seaboard, past Clifton and Camps Bay (where the rich people live), to the fishing town of Hout's Bay for a quick boat ride to Duiker Island (AKA Seal Island) to check out the seals.  Although it had rained for most of our drive, the skies remained dry for the 45 minute boat ride, and immediately let loose once we were back on the bus.

Next we continued along the scenic Chapman's Peak Drive to Simon's Town where we stopped at Boulder's Beach to check out the (I'm not kidding) Jackass Penguins.  I don't know how they got their name, they seemed quite pleasant to me.

Shortly after checking out the penguins and the gorgeous beach on which they reside, Isaac pulled the bus over.  There were several baboons along the side of the road, and one of them was carrying her baby.  Isaac explained to us that we had to keep the doors locked because the baboons knew how to open them. And that we shouldn't eat anything or show them food because they would go crazy.  Also, apparently they love cell phones and if they see one will take it (there is nothing you can do).  If they get in the car, they will let you know that it's time for you to go with a flash of their teeth and few scratches. If you resist, your fate could me much worse.  A few minutes later the otherwise lazy looking baboons run off.  Isaac begins to laugh and says, "look, they got one."  We turned to see a small blue car, all the doors and trunk open, and the occupants all standing outside while the baboons rummaged through the car.  It was quite a site.

From there we continued on to Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve where we departed the bus and got on the bikes we had been pulling behind the van.  The skies were dark and a bit ominous, but Isaac told us it was only about 20-30 minutes to the visitor center where we would stop for lunch.  Luckily the rain held out and the bike ride was amazing!  About 2 minutes after we sat down to make sandwiches the skies opened again and poured harder than I've ever seen it rain in CA.  A few minutes later the rain was over and we could see a bit of blue in the sky.  Isaac asked if we were interested in biking the rest of the way to Cape of Good Hope.  We decided a little rain never hurt anyone and decided to get back on the bikes (while the tourists from the other companies got back in their vans and buses and continued on).  The second leg of the road had a few more hills than the first...although I kicked all their butts on the uphill, I was a bit worried about going fast, downhill, on a wet, bumpy road, with no bike lane, buses barreling down you, and with a helmet that only kind of fit (sorry mom)...so I slowed down and was quickly passed by the rest of the group.  Before I knew it I was all alone, on a bike, in a nature reserve, without another soul in site.  It was absolutely amazing...until I saw the group of baboons waiting around the next turn.  I had slowed because I saw a great picture opportunity, but as I watched them, watching me, I decided the best course of action was to peddle as hard I could past them and hope for the best. I missed the picture, but I still have all my appendages (which is nice).

I met up with the rest of the group at Cape of Good Hope and we decided, against all better judgment, that we would attempt the hike to Cape Point.  At this point any blue in the sky had disappeared, and thick gray clouds filled the sky.  We began at quick pace, and I was excited to finally be doing to Kili training, but were almost immediately distracted by the "view point" signs and the opportunity for some scenic pics.  We all took our turns posing on the cliffs...and then the skies opened up.  We were too far in to turn back, besides our driver was meeting us on the other side.  We were drenched and bummed we couldn't take any of the detours to the private beaches or stop to take pics, but on the bright side we were the only ones on a very touristy trail.  About 30 minutes later we made it to Cape Point and, of course, the rain stopped.

Okay, time to head out to Kili.  If the hotel in Moshi has internet I will update this. If not, check out Zara Tours and Machame Route to find out what I'll be up to for the next week. 

Comments

1

Okay, Tracy, you freaked me out with the beggar story. I suppose, however, your incredible journey would not be complete without a potentially life threatening experience...just don't let it happen again. Be safe. I love you.

  Charlene Seaman Oct 9, 2009 4:17 AM

About tracy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.