Existing Member?

Jalan Jalan Jalan Jalan is about the time I have spent in Indonesia. Usually this involves me getting in to some unusual situation and then having to face the many cultural and language barriers to get out of it. Also, there are usually monkeys involved.

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 5 March 2012 | Views [454] | Scholarship Entry

So you could say I came to Bali for the food.
Nasi Goreng, served with an egg on top and a couple of sate chicken kebabs on the side is perfect for when you find yourself or 'on the nasi' or low on money.
I do love a good Beef Rendang; spicy, coconut curry beef cooked for hours. Although, please be wary that if you decide to order the Beef Rending in Bali; don’t, unless you have a good couple of hours to chew it of course! This leaves either pork or chicken as the predominant meats on the menu which is the reason that the ‘S’ word is now banned in my presence. If a person should such as mention the ‘S’ word it would be a big misteak and I will hit you. Well if I had enough iron in the system to have the energy to hit you, I would.
I am disappointed as I am yet to find a traditional bakso (Indonesian soup with meatballs made from chicken or that red looking meat I wont mention) that isn't processed. How is it that you could visit a country and order a traditional meal only to find that the meat balls are processed like a McDonalds patty? This is in a country where the Ibu’s spend hours grinding herbs and spices for cooking. A country where the Pak’s climb banana trees right in front of you just to collect banana leaves for cooking with.
It’s amazing how some restaurants and warungs will charge up to Rp. 58.000 for a plate of Nasi Goreng whilst other smaller warungs will only charge Rp. 3.000 and the meal comes with delicious side dishes and a plate of fresh fruit for dessert.
The secret is; find a warung with a really nice, old Ibu. The place will have plastic chairs, ugly table cloths covering intricately carved wooden tables and the bathroom will have a squat toilet. Half way through cooking your meal the Ibu will send a family member on a sepeda motor to ask a neighbour a block away for a pinch of ginger, but while you wait she will serve you nutty krupuks and tea in a tall, ugly glass. However, it will be the most delicious meal you will ever eat.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About tracie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.