Existing Member?

herbert and i

Last day in Mexico onto Guatamaela

CANADA | Saturday, 12 July 2008 | Views [704]

My short day ride for once came to fruition, I was settled into a hotel in a town called Comitan by midday. The plan was to do all my banking, get Quetzals ready for Guatamaela and have my paperwork in order forthe exit of Mexico and the entry to my first Central American republic. It all went smoothly except Quetzals which would have to had at the border. Herbert recieved some care with a tightening of nuts and bolts, lubing of pivots and a new spark plug, that is when the day changed from a relax before my foray south, to a frenetic, mad 8 hours.

A motorcycle courier rode into the courtyard and we talked and he showed me photos of his motorbike gang of sorts. He left waving and saying something i didnt really understand. 2 hours later the hotel courtyard is invaded by this motorcycle rabble from Comitan. Apparently i had agreed to go for a ride with this lot, so what could i do but accept. We rode out of town with an ever increasing wind blowing in off the Atlantic ocean. It was madness they rode fast then slow then did wheelies and stoppies, i was starting to think it wasnt such a good idea. We rode out of town and over an escarpment with fantastic views of the Chiapas valley below, and the wind got worse and worse to the point where trees were blowing over. We got to a petrol station and we were all organised in rows for photos. In the background a waterfall was what iwas being shown. it was so far away you could barely see it, i made all the right noises but was laughing to myself. Then onwards we went to a natural swimming pool and then to a lake which wasnt much more than a puddle, i was assured it had no bottom, a continuing theme for Mexican lakes.

It was dark by this time, a ride from hell i how i will describe the ride home. Wind, drizzling rain, dark and the ever grazing animals. They escorted me back to the hotel where lots of hugging and back slapping took place. I had also agreed to go for dinner so i was loaded onto the back of a 500 Kawasaki and driven around the town for a street dinner at a taco stand, then to one of the peoples homes for coffee. Finally the obligatory midnight sit in the central plaza. They were so proud of their town and of their new antipodean friend at 1.30 am they all wanted me to stay another day, although i would have gladly, as i had become fond of this rabble it was time to move.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.