Existing Member?

herbert and i

Oregon sunshine

USA | Sunday, 15 June 2008 | Views [288] | Comments [4]

I decided to stay on at Gary Smiths of the Burro has 3 wheels fame, http//burrohas3wheels.com,home for a couple of days before i move on to Eugene to another around the worlder. I finally see some sunshine and spend Sunday at the rose festival with my kind hosts. Mt Hood covered in snow gives a magnificent backdrop to a very beautiful city. Monday arrives to overcast skies again but the rain holds off. I make a late departure and arrive in Eugene 4 hours later staying off the awful I5 and taking smaller rural roads.

I find my way to the road that takes me to Rick and Lins house but miss the turnoff. The road turns gravel and steep. Hmmm! ive done it again as it deterirates to the point of it becoming a track. Lost again, slipping and sliding down losing traction i let the bike go it righted itself with my heart pounding i decide to slow down. I get back to the main road with a sigh of relief and there it is in front of me. It pays to look sometimes. I am greeted like a long lost friend by Rick and Lin. We head out for Mexican and we get to know each other, fabulous people, Rick having done Globerider trips recently.

The next day we tour the covered timber bridges of Oregon very ornate and picturesque. We go in search of some bits and pieces for maintenance on the bike and end up at a bar all afternoon with Peter a friend of Ricks. We  both get into trouble for getting back late. All night a steady procession of friends come over to meet the Aussie, the joys of celebrity. A lot of alchohol is consumed as we try to drain a keg of beer in the shed. The next day we both work very slowly, but we get the fantastic tool box made for Herbert.

I decide to leave the next day and Rick comes with me . We head for thew Oregon coast over the coastal mountain range. We follow an amazing road and finally hit the coast and boy is it blowing hard. At least the sun is shining. We say a sad goodbye in Florence 3 days together seeming like we had known each other forever.

My last day in Oregon is spent riding the rest of the coast. I dont want to leave Oregon,i have really enjoyed my time there. I decide to stay on the Oregon side of the border where i am fed and watered by 2 members of the Christian Motorcycle Club,they kindly say aprayer for me before i leave, next stop California.

Comments

1

What incredible kindness and hospitality you have been shown - the journey is proving to be more about the people than the places. Travel safe xx Kylie

  Kylie Graham Jun 15, 2008 11:56 AM

2

Likewise Kylie, by the way you forgot to mention that Carlton beat Collingwood and we are at No. 8, 2 positions behind the Magpies!! Annette xxx

  Annette Edwards Jun 16, 2008 9:05 AM

3

Hi Tony, great pics! Loving the blog.
By the way...what is with mo bro? xxx Vi & Srin

  Vi & Srin Jun 17, 2008 9:39 PM

4

Hi Tony. Far out what a holiday!! It's good to know all you're hard work and preparation ( 2 years ) have paid off. I received the DVDs from Gary Smith and he has taken the time to sign them for me. Thanks mate I love them.
Have a ball and I will see you when you get back. Maybe you can do a Herbert style slide show on your return.
As 'Charlie' would say "Rubber side up"
Vc

  Vincent Jun 18, 2008 9:08 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.