Existing Member?

Temporarily Averting Death By Cubicle

From Bali to Singapore

INDONESIA | Saturday, 10 July 2010 | Views [610]

After 8 days of being on a boat, it took a day for our heads to catch up to the fact that we were back on dry land, and the ground was no longer moving below our feet. We spent two more days at Simpang Inn in Legian, roaming around, getting massages and body scrubs, and trying desperately to find a by-the-kilo Laundromat. Our search was in vain; there were none to be had. In hindsight, that does make sense as the clientele that frequents Kuta and Legian leans towards the type who believe that clothing is optional when wandering around in public even though the closest beach is a good 20 minute walk away. We encountered more butt-cracks, unattractive naked torsos, and spindly arms than was necessary, regardless of whether we were out during the day walking around, or at night having dinner at a restaurant. Yes, a restaurant. Yuck.

We soon left Kuta and headed to Ubud for a couple of days. Ubud is very picturesque, and a great place to see plenty of traditional Balinese architecture. I had been to Ubud before, but the place we had stayed at (it had only just opened then) was now exorbitantly priced. Instead, we found a room at Ari House, a little homestay just off Jalan Hanoman for Rp 100,000 a night inclusive of breakfast. Ari House is lovely; our room was incredibly comfortable, the breakfast was filling (an omelette, fruit, and Indonesian snacks, thankfully no toast), and the family that own the house are generous, friendly, and yet unobtrusive. They would leave snacks and a thermos of hot water with coffee and tea for us each afternoon, which was completely unexpected and always appreciated. The family living in the next door house were similarly affable and welcoming, and remarkably sane considering they owned at least 10 or more roosters which would crow incessantly. I would go to the compound of their house to play with their little puppy Mika and they would consistently give me coffee, biscuits and fruit, completely ignoring me though I would fervently implore that I was not hungry or thirsty.

From Bali we flew back to Singapore for a few days where I was finally able to dump my dive gear and lighten my load. There isn’t really a point to this post; I just wanted to wax lyrical about the nicest, friendliest accommodation we have stayed at so far.

Tags: ari house, bali, friendly people and places, kuta, legian, simpang inn

 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.