Existing Member?

Temporarily Averting Death By Cubicle

Chilling Out in KK

MALAYSIA | Monday, 14 June 2010 | Views [341]

---- We haven't had any internet access the last few days so the next couple of posts are out of date. However, since I already wrote them, I will put them up ---

___________________________________________

9th June

One of my favourite things about travel is the annonimity that it brings. Normally, I can't leave the house without a shower and fresh clothes, but when travelling, I have no qualms about heading out in a ratty top and the shorts I've been sleeping in for the past three nights. No one knows me, it's brilliant.

The day dawned bright and sunny for our trip out to the Tungku Abdul Rahman marine park. The park is a collection of islands around 15 or so minutes away from the mainland. It's a cheap day trip - RM 23 for a return speedboat ticket and a RM 10 conservation fee - and you can go scuba diving, snorkelling or just lounge by the beach. I intended to spend the day reading my book (Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro; maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really like it so far), but nature had other plans. Around 2 hours into our arrival on Manukan island it began to rain heavily and soon I was completely drenched and very cold. On a brighter note, I did manage to read a lot of my book while waiting for the return boat to the mainland. The islands are very pretty though; the water is picture-postcard blue and the ubiquitious palm-tree covers most of the land. Also nice was the fact that there weren't many ancient, leathery tourists on the beach to spoil the scenery...too much sun + too little sunscreen = someone who shouldn't be taking his/her clothes off no matter what the circumstance.

 

We're travelling by bus tonight from KK to Semporna on the south of Sabah to do some scuba diving in Mabul and Sipadan. The bus leaves KK at 7:30 pm and it should be around 10 hours or so to Semporna. I'm guessing the majority of the roads will be through jungles or plantations, and I'm looking forward to seeing if they are similar to the ones we used to travel on when my family lived in Melaka. 

Tags: long bus journeys, manukan island, tungku abdul rahman

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.