Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

Getting the Visa to Myanmar - Mission Accomplished

SWEDEN | Thursday, 17 March 2011 | Views [1877]

We FAILed getting the visa from the Myanmar Embassy in London due to language difficulties. I called the London Embassy again. Explained the issue that they have misunderstood my profession. They agreed that is was unfortunate. I then asked that if I can re-send the visa application to them. "NO" was the answer. Technical writer is not a journalist but still "no good"?

I Goggled the crap out of my computer in search for other options.

The personnel at the London Embassy informed us about the possibility to get the visa in Bangkok. That would be feasible, but expensive. Even the express visa takes at least one day so we would need to reschedule the flight to Bangkok and book some hotels for three extra day. Great idea but not really feasible since the vacation time is limited to 22 days.

Other options, pre-arranged Myanmar Visa On Arrival. You apply for the visa on arrival via email and it takes up to 12 days. You receive an electronic notification that you print our and show to the personnel at boarding in Bangkok to Yangon. Then you pay the visa in cash at arrival in Yangon. Sounds easy but I had my doubts after the adventures in London. Emailed the two companies that provided visa on arrival: www.myanmarvisa.com and www.myanmarvisaonline.com. Very quick and kind response and yes, they do provide the service. Great news.

Called my travel agency. I learned that an Emergency visa could also be issued, if all other options failed. The emergency visa was issued with the help of some local agency in Bangkok. The negative side, we won´t know if we get it just one day before the departure and it costs a lot. Not the ideal option.

I found out that Myanmar Embassy in Berlin also issues visas. With some weeks to go, we made up a plan.

1. Apply for visa in Berlin.

2. If that fails, go for the visa on arrival.

3. If that fails, try to reschedule the vacation and get the visa in Bangkok.

4. If THAT fails, apply for the emergency visa.

Sounds like a plan :D.

Called the Berlin Embassy. Very kind and service minded. German efficiency :D. The personnel spoke very good English, so no misunderstandings here. Sent the application. It took a 6 day for the Swedish postal service to deliver the passports to Berlin. The guy from the Embassy called me and said that all was OK. Called him again in five days later and they already sent the passports back! Three days later, we had the passports WITH VISAS! German postal service - Swedish postal service 1:0.

I have now ploughed through the Lonely Planet Myanmar, read everything worth reading online and watched the most interesting Youtube and Vimeo clips about the target areas. A list with things to see and things to do is made. An ambitious list :) but as always when you travel, the itenary changes along the way. You meet someone, then you get lost somewhere and you stumble upon something great that wan´t on any list or on any website. The joy of traveling. 

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.