Existing Member?

Journey to the Summit This journal records progress to my first goal, a long time desire to learn, converse & dream in Spanish and a 2nd goal continue training in Guatemala for my future summit of Mt. Rainier, Washington.

La Posada Lazos Fuertes

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 17 May 2009 | Views [572]

Posada Lazos Fuertes

Posada Lazos Fuertes

Theora and I arrived in Antigua. After being a 24/7 student for 8 weeks my objective in Antigua was to relax and begin to make the transition from full Spanish immersion back to full immersion back to English. Theora wanted to see the lava flow at Vólcan Pacaya (as did I. We also were curious Antigua having heard is was a lovely city from other students and travelers. We, of course, had some last minute "regalos" to buy for those back home. 

Using "The Lonely Planet Guidebook" we decided to give the recommended La Posada Lazos Fuertes a try, just a block or so from the bus terminal and street markets. It was perfect! It had the charm of a restored colonial hotel with an long internal courtyard (see photos in gallery). All the staff were friendly and helpful during our 4 day stay. Swans made of folded towels greeted us when we opened our room door to a very comfortable room. There was bottled water, coffee and tea available all the time as well as free high-speed internet with Wi-Fi on the 3rd floor, open air porch overlooking the courtyard. For a little less than $1/ea we had the option of a breakfast in the courtyard (and I thought the coffee with breakfast was fabulous!).

In addition, here is its wonderful SOCIAL MISSION All profits from the hotel go to Safe Passage (www.SafePassage.org) to provide educational opportunities for the children of families working at the Guatemala City garbage dump. Additionally, Posada Lazos Fuertes will cooperate with Safe Passage in the development of a vocational training program to assist youth in acquiring valuable skills in areas like reception, housekeeping, maintenance, and food service.

Our fellow travelers at the Posada were friendly and included a photographer with a couple of musicians friends, a woman working on micro-loan cooperatives, a couple of regular Antigua visitors from the states...

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.