Existing Member?

Journey to the Summit This journal records progress to my first goal, a long time desire to learn, converse & dream in Spanish and a 2nd goal continue training in Guatemala for my future summit of Mt. Rainier, Washington.

T2C--Cows, in the base camp?

GUATEMALA | Monday, 11 May 2009 | Views [324] | Comments [1]

It was even more unexpected to find that our base camp at 13,200 ft (4,000 m) was actually a cow pasture. The most important use of headlamps at night was to  make sure that we did not step in

It was even more unexpected to find that our base camp at 13,200 ft (4,000 m) was actually a cow pasture. The most important use of headlamps at night was to make sure that we did not step in "pizzas de vacas."

I knew that latitude makes a difference in the micro-climates at different elevations on a mountain, but I really did expect that the Tajumulco base camp at ~13,100 ft would be a cows pasture complete with blooming flowers, cows and "pizza de vaca" (Lookout!) between the tents. I am used to our mountains having snow and ice above 9,000 ft, not cow flops and an occasional "Mooooo!". The good news,Fergie, one of our Irish blokes, took it upon himself to chase the cows out of the camp when they became curious. 

Comments

1

and obviously the cows do not get altitude sickness!

  audrey May 12, 2009 2:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.