Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

The Austrian Expiriance

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [976] | Comments [1]

Ok - so the last two days since I updated have flown and as usual were jam-packed with all this stuff I can hardly wrap my head around.  We drove from the Czech Republic all the way through the province to Petronell-Carnuntum, Austria; which right next the Hungry/Slovac(?)/Austria border.  

We are in a nice tidy campsite that is literally a backyard outside a tennis club as the usual campsite that Oak Hall goes to is all booked out.  This is because the Euro Cup Final is been played here in Vienna the day that we leave!  It's all rather exciting.

So, while we where driving through Austria we stopped at the Mauthausen concentration camp which was rather hard to visit.

I think the thing that hit me the most, even more than the empty buildings that seemed to be hunted by evil memories and heavy sorrow, is the fact that there are still places on this earth today where people expiriance that kind of imprisionment, torture and oppression.  China, North Korea, Burma, South Africa - Dunfur; many more nameless souls lost to the heavy handed approach of those that think they know best; or worse still, that no one's going to stop them.

That is such a hard thing to take.

We where naturally subdued after that stop, but we committed everything to God, pleased that we could trust in His sovereignty, in Him we found peace.

So we pitched camp and were up abominably early to head into Veinna.  We all walked through Schönbrunn Place which was absolutely stunning. Each room was clothed in rich creams that contrasted against the gilded accecents - even the metal stoves that acted as the heating where covered in gold detail!  Crystal chandeliers that hung proudly from the roof - rich red damask cloth that framed stunning views out to the palace grounds.  There were timeless oils of Maria Annonette (yes, the one that was sent to the guilotine), and other Emporors and Emporesses that lived, courted and danced around the decadent halls.

The gardens where just as striking - rows of lush green trees that created forrests on either side of the main flower beds arranged in the shape of the royal crest.  Beyond the the beds rose a tall hill carpeted in neat lawn.  At the base of the hill is a huge water feature - and residing above all of that perched on the top of the rise is what I can only presume to be a massive 'summer house' to view the palace below and behind - the city stretching out like a mantel sweeping behind royalty.      

After the palace we caught the train back into the main core of Vienna.  Em-Jay and strolled around, saw some cool stuff than had to head back to the station to meet up with the others. We where going to head back to camp when we found out one of the guys - Mr. BB(Bouncy Boy) was staying for one of the Euro Cup (soccer) games being shown on ten big screens in the city that night. Luz, Cat, VivaciousV, Em-J, Mr. BB and I ended up going together and the six of us had a BLAST!

 We danced the conga on the way into the fan zone, brought parafanelia and found ourselves a nice comfy spot on the freashly-laid pine chip bark in order to cheer, boo and generally lark about for the next hour and a half.  Yay chip bark fights!!!

I barracked for Espainiola and they totallz kicked butt with possesion of the ball for most of the game.  The score was 2-1, with extra time played. Then we danced our way out again - using our trophy cups as drums.  We shook, shimmied and salsaed our way out of the crowds - grand finale, another conga line!

Late back to bed, but it was ssooooo worth it.  The game and banter that night was definately a highlight so far.

Go soccer!  -Brummabump, bamna, ba!

b.

Tags: concetration camps, driving, euro cup, schönbrunn palace, soccer

Comments

1

Go Euro08, so wish I was there!!!! Enjoy the time, you couldn't have pick a better time ever to visit :D
Jono

  Jono Jun 16, 2008 8:48 AM

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.