Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

Chillaxed Travel

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 20 May 2008 | Views [682]

So we headed up to Arbroath today - it wasn't far away at all and was well worth the trip.  15-20mins away from Dundee by train; it's a reasonably sized town on the East coast of Scotland below Aberdeen.


EmJ and I hit the town around about 11:30am ish; we visited Arbroath Abbey first.  It's a goregous old ruin built by King William the First; The Lion of Justice.  It reminded us of Red Wall Abbey from Brian Jaques' series "Red Wall" - the stones where so old, but had a rusty red quailty to them that whethered against the numerous storms and fires that battered the Abbey. 


There was an extensive graveyard (why do we always end up in graveyards when we travel in Scotland?) - so we had fun taking emo-muffin pictures, I did a sketch and EmJ fell asleep in the sun.

After that it was lunch - Subway salads and seagulls hovering around.  Onto the clifts just outside of the center of town afterwards -  there where huge expanses of green velet grass, azure skies, aqua water and bright golden sun... Mmmm.   We walked down to the beach (it was all rocky and pebbley; but still nice.)  We sunbaked on the small patch of sand that we could find; the so-called beach (it was two feet wide) was sheltered from the wind by the three meter high concrete wall to stop the land washing away.  Result?  Low winds for once!  Yay!  ><

After that it was off to Suger and Spice (and all things nice) for the yummiest hot chocolate I've had since leaving Italy.  Cream, marshmellows and lotttsss of chocolatey goodness.  SnS is the CUTEST tea shop I've ever seen; really popluar with the locals and I can see why as it has an 'Old English Tea Parlor' feel to it that you can't miss.  The waitresses wear lacey white aprons with cute little caps over their hair.  Definately a step back in time that I think anyone would enjoy.  They do the best scones with jam too...  *drools* 

We met up with Ginger at Danger Point after SnS (he lives in Arbroath when he's not at Teen Ranch); we chatted for a bit whilst the 'gulls circled over head.   Then around 7:00pmish it was into the nearest chippy (Fish and Chip shop - NOT carpenter) for some dinner, then home again, home again, jiggity-jig. 

We both really enjoyed our day out - it was lovely and relaxing, but that's the end of the story, so bye now!

b.

Tags: abbey, arbraoth, seagulls

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.