Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Victoria - Tim & Friends Tim from London embarks on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as he motors around Victoria with Van-Tastic Adventures - picking up his Aussie mates for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

MELBOURNE MADNESS

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 19 November 2009 | Views [1166]

So I enjoyed the beautiful drive along the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne, stopping for lunch in Torquay. A totally sick surf spot and the HQ for rip-curl which was the reason for my visit. That will be explained in my next vid, but while there I should say I popped into the surf museum. If you are into surfing (and you wouldn't go otherwise!) you'll love it.

But I was soon ready to head the rest of the way to Melbourne to see my mates. As it turns out, even though I know them all from totally different walks of life, all three of them live on the same street! St. George St in Fitzroy, and it is obvious why super-cool part of town and a great place to start my adventure there! 

First I caught up with Rhys (a welsh-man living in Oz), and just popped to a couple of locals although didn't over do it because we knew the next day was going to be a big one! I had heard there were loads of secret bars in Melbourne CBD so I decided I want to put together the coolest bar crawl vid possible. I'll try not to spill to many beans but it was awesome fun!

Highlight being the Edge Experience on the sky-deck! Basically you're on the highest pulic viewing area in the southern hemisphere (300m high) you stand in a small box covered in frosted glass, the box slides out of the building so you are above thin-air, you hear the sound of breaking glass and the frosting instantly disappears leaving you stand above 300m of nothingness and then concrete and fast cars! Pretty wild even for some gnarly dudes like me and Rhys. I say gnarly, we basically thought we had been brave as hell by daring to jump approx 3cm off the floor, however the next group in were a family and they were happily running around and lying down etc. Fairly embarrasing but, whatever!

Next my amazing girlfriend Emily arrived in at Melbourne airport and joined the tour, to get rid of my hangover from the night before we decided to go wine-tasting in the Yarra valley! Now I don't know if you are any good at maths but: (hangover)+(stupidly hot weather)+(champagne at 11am followed by consistant wine-tasting all day)=(sleeping in the bus the whole way home)!

Thanks to Dave from Epicurean Day Tours for all his awesome hints, tips and unexpected extra touring!

Next up sky-diving, Em doesn't know yet! Watch this space!

Tags: australia, backpacking, campervan, great ocean road, melbourne, road trip, skydiving, surfing, van-tastic adventures, vantastic

 

About timmyski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.