Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Victoria - Tim & Friends Tim from London embarks on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as he motors around Victoria with Van-Tastic Adventures - picking up his Aussie mates for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

THE HIGHS & LOWS OF APOLLO BAY

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 15 November 2009 | Views [1030]

I say highs and lows, the only low was our friend Gibbo (pro-snowboarder and former x games legend!) not managing to catch any fish. The rest has been sick to the power of rad!


Other friends of Sam's that came to visit us included Jesse & Georgie (coolest couple in town) and BT (bassist from Melbourne and body-boarding bad-ass!) all of which included awesome banter in and out of the pub and many a new drinking game invented!

You may have already seen the sand skiing video. This was an idea I think Sam had had many moons ago and we decided it was time it was done! We shot over to Sam's Dad's house to get all of his old ski kit, including those legendary old K2s, and headed to the beach. When I pictured the vid in my head I imagined lots of reaction shots of confused people sun-baking as we strutted past all kitted out. In actual fact it seems aussie surfers are shocked by nothing! We got to the car park and when asked what wave we were thinking about ridin, we replied "We're actually going skiing!" expecting jaws to drop, it was actually us who were shocked when they immidiately replied "Yeah cool, we have just been riding this left...." without a second thought!


What isn't seen in the video is the literal 2K walk to get to the sand-dune in question, it was hotter than the sun that day so not too pleasant. It also meant that we didn't fancy carrying the skis back so if you fancy hitting up some aussie pow this summer, head to Johanna beach with your ski-boots and you're good to go!

Another good experience before leaving Johanna was managing to get up on a couple of the biggest waves I have ever surfed! Apparently they were pretty average size for there, but it didn't mean I was any less than totally stoked! It did however mean that I stayed out until I was more knackered than I should have been and subsequently got caught in a rip and properly struggled to get out, pretty scary but had a pretty nice glow during then end of day beer!

The final high, but probably the best of them all, was when were popped to the super-market to get bread and milk and came out with a 10'wide inflatable hot-tub! Best still it was the last in the shop and the display model, so therefore we had to take it already inflated! Meant for some amazing end of Apollo Bay parties!

So to conclude, Apollo Bay, go there and say hello to Sam! SERIOUSLY!

Follow the adventures at http://www.vantastic.worldnomads.com, or on Twitter @Van_Tastic and @timmytank.

Tags: apollo bay, australia, backpacker, oz, road trip, skiiing, surfing, van-tastic adventures, vantastic, victoria

 

About timmyski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.