Existing Member?

Adventures of Tiff

Final Countdown...

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 7 November 2013 | Views [344]

Cape of Good Hope

Cape of Good Hope

Less than a week left on this adventure, and although it has been fantastic, I am ready to return home. I miss my bed, and I miss my crew. I have met some incredible people on my trip, but I find myself longing for those that know me best...soon come. 

My kite classes finished Wed, and thankfully, on Tuesday I was finally up and travelling on the board; it took awhile...;) The wind this week has not been good at all, so I am going to check out of the school, and into a spa on Friday to get some well deserved r&r before returning home...departing Sunday and will arrive in SF Monday around noon...yay!!!

In regards to the kite surfing...when I first witnessed this sport, it was in HI almost 10 years ago. I remember thinking how fun it looked, and how it seemed effortless, as though you were flying. Watching in the bay as well, it looked quite easy; however, it really is not. I have struggled these past two weeks, and never before had such a desire to give up...my brain and body, beaten. Desperately trying to be compassionate with self, I pursued, and was elated when I actually did it!!! There was an episode on the vlei in which I launched the kite during a gust and forgot to let go. I was dragged and dropped hard, and extremely apprehensive to continue as the pain was quite severe. Last weekend, once we had returned to Cape Town, I battled with the ocean as well. My kite had dropped, and the wind was not so strong. I got caught in a wave set while trying to relaunch, and it was no fun at all, short of breath I finally crawled onshore. So this is an extreme sport, and I must admit I had no idea what I was really getting into. Tomorrow I am going to a cable park to practice getting out of the water on my board a little more while the wind is down, and if Saturday's forcast is correct, Ugo and I will head up north for my final session in the morning.

It has been nice having a few days of no wind, as I've been able to get out a little bit and see more of the cape. Monday, we hiked Lionshead, and yesterday, I went on a cape cruise...a road which reminded me of the PCH. It is truly beautiful here, but hearing the horror stories from some of the locals only makes me more grateful that I live in the promised land. I am returning home with a renewed appreciation, and an immense gratitude for being so blessed to love where I live. I have been all around this world, and although there are many stunning places, California remains my favorite. 

Looking forward to sharing stories and reconnecting with you all in the near future. Much love in the meantime~

About tiffany3939


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.