Existing Member?

DR's Dérive Living and loving life all over the world.

Shrunken heads and public buses

ECUADOR | Saturday, 26 September 2015 | Views [477] | Comments [2]

Otavalo

Otavalo

Adventures in Quito continued. I let the hotel reception convince me that I could take public transportation (two buses) to the equator line/museums. Half way to the station I realized I was clearly over my head - turned back and requested a car. For significantly more money - and peace of mind - I got a taxi that took me to the two museums (waited for me there) and took me back. Arriving at the first museum, Intinan Solar Museum, (and true equator line) I saw my new Swiss friend, Cindy! We spend the rest of the day together and made plans to have dinner the next day (Saturday). 

 
I am thoroughly impressed with the Intinan Museum - especially with the shrunken head (it's real!), seeing water drain without the Coriolis effect (no swirl at the bottom of the drain), and unsuccessfully walking a straight line along the equator (the pulls of the northern and southern hemisphere affect your inner ears).
 
That night I met the motley crew of the tour group in the evening. Ages range from 18 to 60s. Mostly women, with some men. Out of the 16, I am one of two Americans. Most are Australian and British. 
 
Saturday is spent at one of the most famous markets in Latin America, Otovalo. While beautiful - the three buses and three plus hours to get there made it difficult to say it was worth it. I wanted to take private transportation, but I was the only one of my tour who wanted to go that way, making it cost prohibitive. So I went with two tour members and a Canadian couple they had met previously. Traveling like a local was an adventure. By far, my favorite part of the day was the delicious lunch of soup, roasted chicken, rice and potatoes. 
 
I was very grateful to come back to the city nine hours later to meet Cindy for a cocktail at a rooftop bar followed by empanadas at a great restaurant with live music on La Ronda. 
 
Random Highlights:
Learning how to shrink heads
Clapping along with Hare Krishnas on La Ronda
Not getting pick pocketed on the public city bus
Finding out that the baby crying on the bus to Otavalo was actually a chicken in a woman's lap
Amazing live band at quaintest bar on La Ronda
 

Comments

1

Sounds like a dead tour LOL - Live in the moment and enjoy it!

  Greg Sep 30, 2015 7:44 AM

2

La Ronda is awesome! Sounds like you are enjoying the local fare :-) Shrunken head freaked me out. The tour ppl. sound interesting :/ Enjoy

  Jessica Sep 30, 2015 8:17 AM

About thewanderingrock

Fried potatoes post Prague Castle visit

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.