Existing Member?

DR's Dérive Living and loving life all over the world.

Getting mocked by school children and other adventures

ECUADOR | Friday, 25 September 2015 | Views [566] | Comments [3]

Streets of Quito

Streets of Quito

Day 1 is in the books - and it was an adventure. I'm perpetually surprised by my ability to get lost, yet end up exactly where I am supposed to be. The walking tour did not work out (as I could not find the location) - but I happened upon a "hop on, hop off" tour. I was able to see much more of the city and made a new friend, Cindy! She recognized me from the flight to Atlanta - we quickly struck up a conversation and spent the rest of the day exploring together and having a delicious dinner of craft beer and pizza. She was also able to explain to me the calls and giggles from a school bus that was passing us. I had my shawl wrapped around my shoulders - and apparently I resembeled Mother Mary to a group of young boys. In summary - I couldn't have asked for a better start to my trip and look forward to meeting up with Cindy again when I arrive in Cuenca in a week or so. 

 

Random Highlights:

Hearing "Total Ecliplse of the Heart" while walking through the streets

Having to register with the local police (give name/country of origin) while sitting in the plaza - and the officer starting to rattle off random things related to NY - Frank Sinatra! Big Apple!

Not getting completely and totally winded walking up and down the incredibly steep streets of Quito

Comments

1

EXCELLENT 1ST DAY!
Happy to hear you have a travel buddy.
Funny how they equate NY to Frank Sinatra.
I am looking forward to day 2

  UG - Uncle Greggy Sep 26, 2015 12:28 PM

2

Yay to travel buddies! I am not so surprised at your ability to get lost ;) keep enjoying Quito Mother Mary.

  Jessica Sep 27, 2015 10:48 AM

3

Can't wait till your next post! Love that they appreciate the classics like Frank!

  Natasha Sep 28, 2015 8:49 PM

About thewanderingrock

Fried potatoes post Prague Castle visit

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.