Existing Member?

my big adventures

Unawatuna to Mirissa

SRI LANKA | Sunday, 3 February 2013 | Views [533] | Comments [2]

When we stayed in Unawatuna it was not really proper Sri Lanka, it was a beach resort, so we could trust the food there like chicken , but not beef.  When we travelled to Mirissa we went East along the coast, to the middle of the southern province.  Mirissa is a very nice place, there are lots of surfers, and my mum says if I'm good I can have surf lessons.  THe guest house we are staying in is lots of fun, there are lots of people who visit and some big boys who like playing with me and a girl called Pulmini, who is quite naughty.  The boys are called Ishan and Randi.  Randi has a motorbike and he can't be bothered to do anything.  He has a toast mixture which is butter and sugar, mum and dad bought them a toaster, they didn't know how to use it, I, however I am making the most of it with Nonna's marmite!  it is very funny because when my mum got it and told them she had bought them a toaster, they all ran into the kitchen saying 'what is it? what is it?'  

It's really fun here, there are lots of animals.  In the mornings I see lovely monkeys, one breed is called rhesus monkeys, they are not so lovely, but the big black ones with a silver strip around their backs are fun to watch jumping through the jungle trees.  Yesterday I saw a baby rhesus monkey, which looked veery calm so I really wanted to hold it, I said 'monkey monkey, come down' which he did but then he ran back up on to the roof because he was scared, he then jumped into a palm tree and tried to open a coconut.  THe baby monkey had a sort of playing game he went up the palm and kept on slipping down and then he did it again and again, when he had finished, he went back to his mummy.  I nearly forgot about hte fruit bats, I see fruit bats every night flying over our house, I don't know where they are going.  THe sad thing sometimes is that they sleep on the electric wires and they cross the wires and electrocute themselves.  When we walk to the beach we sometimes see a fruit bat hanging dead from the electric wires above our heads.  yukky.  

Yesterday morning I made string hoppers with the women in the kitchen, Malika, Mandika and Charmen (3 sisters) it is very difficult because you have to make the dough, and put it inside a wooden pusher (like a pay dough one that pushes out psaghetti) and then you push it out in 3 circles layered on top of each other, on a basket and steam them.. they are yummy they taste like rice noodle and you eat them with daal and coconut sambol and daddy made the coconut sambol . Mum fed Gabriel with what he calls yummy.. it's a corn meal which you mix with lots of milk and some sugar.. he loves it!  please make comments, I have not been able to put on photos because it took so long, but now we have a new package so I shold be able to.  Thanks for checking out my blog, look forward to hearing from you all in the comments... and yes Julius, I will bring you back a present.. what about a monkey? just kidding!

 

Comments

1

Loving reading your beautifully written journals and looking forward to the next one! And seeing pics of you on a surf board!! Hope I haven't written too many comments? May have got carried away?!

  Cheryl Feb 9, 2013 5:30 AM

2

really cool reading your travelogue,love it.:)

  jay Feb 26, 2013 10:04 PM

About theus

me on arrival at atlantis water park

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.