Existing Member?

Travels

8th of July

USA | Wednesday, 9 July 2008 | Views [208]

Left Annapolis at 0600 to get to the airport in time to catch our flight to Portland. Despite the indirect route via Atlanta, we all enjoyed the flight which included a close up of a snowy Mount Hood just before landing.

Overnighted in an Inn in Kelso. The room had a great view of the local mall! The time difference ensured an early start on the drive to Mount St Helens. Despite the 28 years that have passed since it erupted, the signs of devastation were still all too evident.

Continued on to Aberdeen. Wandered the town looking for the sights. After the excitement of the port viewing platform with its great view of the biodiesel plant we retired to Billy's Bar and Grill for dinner and some local brews. Spent the night at a copycat of the previous Inn, although this time our view was of the Wishkaw river (of Nirvana fame). Before leaving Aberdeen we made a visit to the underside of the Young St Bridge once frequented by Kurt Cobain and more recently by hordes of his fans.

Took Route 101 northbound up the west coast of Washington State. Stopped at Lake Quinalt lodge before completing a loop of the lake, including a stop at the world's largest Sitka spruce, continuing on to Kalaloch Lodge for Lunch looking out over the pacific. After lunch we stopped off at Ruby Beach and climbed over the huge logs cast up on the beach like twigs.

Headed away from the blustery Pacific coast to the muggy Rainforest of the Hoh valley. Walked the Hall of Mosses trail amongst the huge red cedars. The moss draped Maple Trees and ferns had us expecting to see dinosaurs wandering around.

 

About themorrows


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.