Existing Member?

in her adventures groovin along to the beat of life ... recording it here for you to see ... all the beauty and all the strife ... won't you come and dance with me ...

Baja... and the rest

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 9 July 2008 | Views [588] | Comments [1]

just over a week later finds us on the mainland of mexico... and it feels like a life time later. Ill try and condense it as much as possibee, and please excuse my gramma but I dont know how to work the spanish keys!

0600 (at the beginning) we depart the Greetis clans home. Destination - Mexican border and beyond.
0602 First Police pull over. Tints are illegal. Top stuff.

The stories you hear, and hear about hearing, so on and so forth, are about as good for the nerves as cancun is for a recovering alcoholic, and so the quick hour or so drive to the border was more of a intense thought race of which horror story could freak me out faster. Needless to say that when the cats at the border told me I actually had to do some driving around in Tijuana, due to vehical permits and other such business, a little (big) part of me wanted to run home. But after much procrastination between father and I (Are you sure we need to go in there and follow these directions? Yes. Are you sure? Um I dunno Ill go ask again.... yep, we need to go in there. In there? Yeah... etc etc), we ventured forth.

I can tell you that mexicans are just lovely. From that moment at crossing the border to this moment thousands of ks away, the mexican people have been nothing but wonderful. Friendly, kind, and most of all accepting of my terrible spanish.

Now the actual country. Wow. The first three days were spent driving hundreds of ks with ¨intense wheel pressure¨ (Dad), as we decided to get as far south to the first perfect waves we could find. After endless cactus fields, the narrowest roads you have ever driven at 100k per hour with a big truck bearing down on you and another one over taking you, we took a turn. Our first stuck in the sand ¨ Abort Abort! ¨adventure, had us then take another turn. 3 of the most desolite, hot, barren, in the middle of nowhere havent seen a car for at least 2 of those, hours later we arrived at point set up number 1. It being only shoulder high and still wetsuit temp we had one good wave each and then high tailed it out of there... illusive first surf down. Quite the achievement let me tell you! Destionation Scorpian Bay (aka Perfect Point Setup 2 - 7).

A day later, we arrived to find shoulder high right handers peeling perfection. Out for one and then camp set up. In the hard off shore afternoon wind, this was to be an adventure. But after the thousands of ks driven and the days of no surf, a loud flapping of the tarpolen as we ate our 5 can mix and over looked the last days sets, seemed nothing less than paradise.

Here we spent 3 days of great fun. It was the most perfect twinny wave I have ever surfed. The people were lovely, it was uncrowded. The cliff we camped on overlooked the break and the surronding landscape - big barren hills, and miles of desert - was gorgeous, and three surfs a day, kept me sleeping on my very slim mattress that lay over the hard desert stone (with a light dusting of sand of course). But you can only surf so many twinny waves and dodge so many scorpians, before the mind starts wondering to better shaped waves and tropical jungle.

After making a few adventures south, meeting some wondeful kiwis (English! and a familiar accent!), we decided baja had shown us enough of her glory and it was time to make our way to mainland mexico. A 12 hour ferry trip 2am-2pm) and we found ourselves on the mainland with new australian friends. As a new family, we set out for the perfection of the south! little did we know we also drove ourselves into the tail of a mini hurricane. So after a night in the middle of a wonderful city that i had no hope of exploring (its a surf trip aye Dad) we continued into the craziness of a hurrincane on the mainland. Yesterday a drive of 10 hours through flooded towns, new waterfalls cascading down upon the highway and a few wrong turns, we arrived at the imfamous Pascalues. Pretty much a twin to Puerto Escondido, we awoke this morning to solid over head waves thumping onto the shore. We quickly decided that wonkey glorified close outs werent our thing (¨it has to be twice as big as this to start working ¨sweet bro you can have it). So we headed from where I type now, Rio Nexpa.

Along the way we tried to get into some lesser known places, but due to the storm that just came through (apparently the worst in 10 years), in alot of places, the roads were washed out. So after driving along the coast brim full of lush rain forest (the complete opposite to her sister Baja), through tunnels of greenery seemling trying its best to creep along the road, it was a beautiful feeling to arrive here. At $5 a night, with a great little heavy right hand bank right in front, many more stretching down the beach, and the left point out to the side, I couldnt be happier. Also staying right next to us, is a new found cousin. From the mothers side we connected the dots, and you know how us maoris are... best mates already.

Anyway its time for the much deserved cervaza. First surf on the mainland deserves a beer! Funnily enough, I find a reason to deserve a beer everyday.... I love you all very much and hopefully I can update this at least once a week as I dont like writing big long ones... May this reading find you happy and healthy and remember, you are always welcome to join xxx

Comments

1

Finally! A message that gives us a true feel for how the adventure is going. Ignorance is bliss. Glad that I did not know about the hurricane or I might have worried! Sounds like you are resting up in a great spot. Wonderful to read your descriptions of the landscape. You might hate long messages but they are just what we need to read back here at home. Gary and Vicki turned up for a brief visit and we haven't seen them since. I am not sure what they are up to. We keep forgetting to feed Bretts fish and we are also supposed to be feeding the cats next door. Everyone is away except for us! Ah well. Keep up with the updates and I will let others know where they can look.
Even more love, Mum

  Mummy Lee Jul 10, 2008 8:45 PM

About theladykelly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.