Existing Member?

in her adventures groovin along to the beat of life ... recording it here for you to see ... all the beauty and all the strife ... won't you come and dance with me ...

insects in paradise

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 20 July 2008 | Views [332]

Rio Nexpa: Kiwis cussies, $5 por noche - woo hoo! Brown water spewing from over flowing river mouth. Fat left handers. Heaving right handers. crazy crabs. new ozzies buddies. Fresh vegies for the vego kiwis. Alligator crusing past - at least i convinced myself there was. Dead dog in line up. time to go anyone?

Acupluco: Cliff divers. big city craziness. chuwawa on the menu - cheese not the dog. Screaming bikes. Late night disco right outside the window untill the dawning sky tells you what you already dreaded... its been a long night... time to go go go....

Puerto Escondido: Serious hammock time. Small swell = dbah esque waves. Great food. More great food. Random meeting with Matty Scorringe walking down the street, which lead to meeting up with mike phillips and his lovely lady laura. Our new adventure buddies! Flying sting rays in the water. Big huge swooping pelicans. After three days of more of the same, it is time to move south, away form the crowds and to the easy life of camping... to the major destination of the whole trip... Barra de la cruz aka the ripcurl contest wave.

That is the super condensed version of the last week or so before the last 4 days, as I wrote a long update in Puerto before the computer decided to crash and delete half an hour of quality writing. Ha ha! It was a great trip down here and every single moment up untill we left puerto, all expectations had been exceeded, apart from the surf. Don´t get me wrong. We had lot of fun waves, and it beats most days surfing in a thick wetsuit... but it wasn´t the waves we had been dreaming of from the other side of the world. But come four days later, that thirst is fast becoming quienched. This place is truley beautiful. I couldn´t believe our first surf as the sun was setting. The sand is the nicest white on this big long beach, these amazing white boulders, crawling with greenery, come out from the hill to meet the beautiful blue ocean. When you look back to land there is this amazing valley, covered in the wet seasons tropcial jungle, climbing higher and higher. In the morning, as you are out as the sun rises, there is this awesome mist that lays over the top of the highest peak, that makes me think of a giant that is laying down to rest... After a big night of doing whatever it is that giants do (apart from playing my imagination).

The second day, I got one of the funnest waves I have ever surfed in my life. You never really think about bringing out those calls, and I haven´t said anything like that for a long time, so it was about time to just put it out there and celebrate. After having a refeashing cold shower, uno cervaza, and a bit of a home cooked pasta, above my belly started having some pains... after lying down, it started going south and before i knew it poor wee me was sick. I spent the next 24 hours not in the best state of my life, but after much moaning and groaning, I woke this morning to feel slightly better. Unfortunatley my days of sickness have coincided with the biggest swell we have had, and the boys have been telling of barrells... but it should last at least another 4 days, so I am consoling myself with the fact that I will hopefully be all freash whilst everyone else is surfed out.

But before you let yourself get too down with the picture I paint of paradise, I´ll let you in on some things i have been omitting from my little story. The insects here suck. Down on the beach there are the most horrendis march flies and i now refuse to go in untill dads feet are on solid ground (otherwise i end up going mad as he said he would come in half and hour ago and i am running around trying to kill every one that lands on me), and they have these things called noseeums. the first day i thought I may have got a little bitten.... I woke up in the middle of the night after the bites had raised, and it is estimated by my fellow kiwi campers that i had in excess of two hundred bites on my body. Needless to say I spent the next two days trying desperately not to scratch all over my body...

But that is really all. Other than that, it is paradise for the moment. We have made friends with some lovely french crew, and we might go on an adventure with them tomorrow. There are meant to be some amazing breaks around here that are not so easy to get too.. and so far our adventures have found amazing beaches, friendly people that have a mighty old laugh at our spanish skills, and an exess amount of mud on our truck... Hopefully a prefect reeling point break is next on the list of discoveries.

And that is really all for now me amigos. Been a bit of a strain on the body... time to lie down again and hopefully be fully rested for tomorrow. I hope this finds you all well as usual and enjoying whatever slice of paradise you are inhabiting. If in the southern hemisphere - have a glass of red wine and dark chocolate for me please! And milledge, not sure if you read this, but i miss your pesto immensly. Safe travels... xxx

About theladykelly


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.