Existing Member?

A New Pakeha In Town

Settling in

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 9 November 2012 | Views [214]

Hey Bros (yes I am referring to girls and guys - I got very confused to but it is a gender neutral phrase)

 

Whilst my life is currently half as mad busy as it was a month ago there seems to be a lot to report on since the last story.

 

Two weeks into living in Wellington I have moved into my more permanent rented house - not bad going though I thought it took an age. Maybe I am just impatient to get settled. I am now living with 4 Kiwis, a cat called Douglds and a new arrival today of Charlie the black labrador puppy! It is in one of Wellington's suburbs so between a 30-45min bus, 1hr hilly cycle (apparently though with no bike I have not had the joy yet) or a 20ishmin drive. Hmm maybe a bit too much detail. Bus journeys are fun as something always happens. Today the vehicle radio broadcast to the passengers general chatter between the drivers and control had lost track of about 10 buses. Also if you dont thank the driver loudly when you leave the bus it looks rude - how friendly is that!

 

But it has a garden and there is a garden shop 2min walk from the house so though I am rationing plants there will be some veg planted soon! 10 min walk to supermarket (don't mind not having the luxury of sainsburys downstairs) or 20min walk to town. It may be occupied by people that are less tidy than I am but the house is lovely and has potential.

 

So this week has been Move Week. I said goodbye and thank you to Helen and Trish who I had been staying with and am sure we will keep in touch. I cooked them a nice meal feeling a bit of pressure after they watched Come Dine With Me. I went for a walk along the Orongaronga track which was beautiful and there are lots of walks in the area so will visit again Im sure.  Then I had a few constructive days shadowing interpreters in high level meetings which was good to identify BSL and NZ sign language (NZSL) differences and general ways of the world. Met the CEO of Deaf Aotearoa (the national deaf association like the BDA) which was good for networking and potential work. Then I finally got in touch with NZ Red Cross and had an induction and went to a Branch meeting. A lot of things are different with NZRC as would be expected and so there is a lot to adjust to and not sure what I will be involved in but they seem very welcoming. I am hoping to go to the Emergency Disaster Team meeting Monday though it takes 1hr 15min on the bus to get there (40min drive)! So if you have read the blog on Earthquakes then you can understand the raised eye brow at the nearest ER NZRC response is based nearly 1hr away. Having 6 operations bases in London is a luxury!

 

Today I carried some shelves through town and did some IKEA style DIY so now room starting to feel better (luckily the room came with the bed!)

 

Off on a day hike tomorrow up Mt Holsworth which Im hoping to be amazing so expect a few more photos to come.

 

Hei konā mai

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.