Existing Member?

A New Pakeha In Town

Is it our Fault

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 2 November 2012 | Views [249]

So is it our fault is the current earthquake resiliance scheme across NZ and last night I got my lesson on earthquake resiliance.

 

The landscape of continuous hills and endless bays creates a landscape that from above looks like crinkled paper. This may be a sign of the tectonic activity so prevalent in the area. The warnings of blue signs directing you to the hills should be another reminder. The history of Wellington is shaped by changes to the landscapes changing from the Austrailan plate burying itself below the Pacific plate at 4cm a year. But 'thankfully' the plates belwo Wellington mainly shift sideways which reduces Tsunami risk. Yes I said BELOW Wellington. Directly below the capital's streets is a nic big fault line. The City's water suppy crosses the fault 5times! But dont worry there is only 10% chance of the BIG ONE happening any time soon. Lets just ignore the many other smaller fault lines in the area shall we!

 

The meeting did however reassure me that the Council and civil defence departments are doing everything to minimise the risk. Also the community preparedness is very interesting and I may have a nose-poke at getting some volunteer work with them. The main message was be self/community reliant cos help wont come that soon. Flowing water will take a month to repair, there are only 2 roads out of the capital (hmm compared to London or even to Christchurch) so the main source of aid will be from sea or helicopter. So stock up and grow your own because apparently there is no contingency food supply.

Hehe - not worried yet I hope?!

The buildings here are much more resiliant and learning lots from Christchurch. When I get a place I will make sure I am all prepared to reduce risk etc.

I know it all sounds big and scary but the resilience is there and the awareness etc unlike in some countries. I am trying to avoid houses on hills though in my house hunting! The tectonic activity also means amazing Southern Alps for skiing and hot springs for bathing!

 

HUGS!

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.