Existing Member?

A New Pakeha In Town

Mt Holsworth tramp

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 12 November 2012 | Views [288]

Setting off to the Mt Holsworth in the Tararua Range we knew we were in for a great hot day and it was. The trek went through different types of forest from lush ferns and Rimu trees to corkscrew-like trees some sharp alpine grasses to the summit. It felt like I walked through several scenes of the Lord of the Rings - so don't spend lots of money on guided lord of the rings landscape tours if you visit - it is at your feet. We passed 2 of the well equipt huts and brilliant view all the way. I started at a good normal pace but half way up last year's interrupted exercise and the move hit home and the second half was shockingly slow but well worth it. The intensity of the sun was noticable as though I drank lots as normal for a hot day, I was v thirsty and could easily have drunk 3ltr for a day hike. We stayed on the summit 30min eating and admiring the view but I felt the wind pick up so suggested we head down. That turned out to be a good idea as we headed down the gusts built up and we felt bad for those ending up to the summit with a blustery suprise ahead of them! We then drove back and stopped at Petone for fish and chips on the beech. It is great here with the selection of different local fish in the Chippy. So fish and chips and a ginger beer on the beech - not bad eh?! As we got to the beech though, the clouds flooded into the Welly harbour and whilst we watched it pour in Welly we managed to finish our dinner before it hit us. So a great day all in all!

My mission is to get fitter though so I will be running a lot more and I am definitely keeping to my plan of 1 hike a week :-) The run this morning resulted in a bit of a drenched Abigail by the time I got home but guess what it is sunny now! Typical.

 

Sunday morning I got up and dressed relatively early to skype the NDCS Social! It was great seeing everyone (even though most people's faces were blurred i recognised most people). Thanks to the wonderful Andy I got to watch the award ceremony and thank you Rachel for my award which was a nice suprise. There were some incredible costumes too and the fab Fletch's sign singing was awesome as ever despite the broken connection. It was hard watching and not being there but life is good here so it didnt get me going online to book a ticket home - sorry nice try NDCS!

 

The other excitement (well you wont think so) but I now have shelves, chest of drawers and vaccumed the whole house today so it feels good! Mum has also been a legend and my stuff will be sailing to me tomorrow!

 

Off to Auckland tomorrow :-)

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.