Existing Member?

scrambled eggs Our adventures through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for 7 months.

Hey Ho a mining we go!

BOLIVIA | Wednesday, 21 March 2007 | Views [522]

At 4200metres we entered the mine after purchasing dynamite and detonators, and putting on some sexy safety gear.
  We got a dynamite demonstration above ground which was entertaining. Glen filmed it but the camera goes wild everytime something explodes, funny to watch.
  2 people of  our group had to pull out within the first ten minutes due to claustrophia and altitude sickness, the 3 of us (Alex was with us) spent about 2 hours down the mines seeing 15 year olds working, we got down to level 4 after crawling through some pretty small holes and passageways. 15000 people work in the mountain everyday hoping to strike it rich, not many do. But only 30 people perish a year from the mines directly and I was impressed that number was so low – most miners don’t make it to 40 due to lung problems. The mines are the only reason Potosi exists – a few centuries ago it was the richest city in the world before the Spanish emptied the mountain and city of it’s silver.

Tags: Sightseeing

About thehappyeggs


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.