Existing Member?

scrambled eggs Our adventures through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for 7 months.

Baby steps

BOLIVIA | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [400]

Alright so today we headed out of the jungle back to the big city life of Santa Cruz, we knew we couldn't just jump on a bus for the 5 - 6 hour trip because of the landslide but we didn't realise how tricky it was going to be.

 The way you get around between towns here is shared taxis and shared we did!! A total of 6 taxis for the day and about 6 hours of travel to get about 400kms. And boy were some of them entertaining. some taxis took us 6 kms another 25km and the best and final ended up taking us 3 hours after some negotiation, we got tired of skipping from small town getting into another taxi for the next town and were lucky the final dude found enough people (without finding to many) to take us direct to Santa Cruz.

 Glen's favourite taxi (if you're a parent you may want to skip this bit) managed to fit 15 people into a regular 5 seater stationwagon  with luggage, we're talking driver with 3 in the front passanger seat, 5 people sharing the back 3 seats and then 6 crammed in the back with the bags.

 This same driver also managed to get the car up to 140kms and hour in the pouring rain and kept it on the road!! The car was a left hand conversion so the speedo was sitting on the passenger side for us all to watch.

But we finally got to Santa Cruz and am now enjoying hot showers and street vender burgers again!! 

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

About thehappyeggs


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.