Existing Member?

scrambled eggs Our adventures through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia for 7 months.

When it rains it hails!!

PERU | Sunday, 28 January 2007 | Views [367]

Having lived in desert for the last 4 weeks, we have arrived in Puno on Lake Titicaca. And it hailed down on us whilst we were out buying bread.

Having lived in desert for the last 4 weeks, we have arrived in Puno on Lake Titicaca. And it hailed down on us whilst we were out buying bread.

 Our last stop in Peru before popping over the border for some fun in Bolivia. Finally we’ve left the desert that we’ve been in for the last month and we’ve returned to the highlands, where it gets chillier and rains every afternoon (or is ment to at the moment).

  We arrived to the shore of Lake Titicaca after a beautiful journey through green valleys filled with alpaca herds. The bus stopped for a loo break and we got to try alpaca for the first time, not bad. It was funny when we stopped all the blokes ran to the nearest wall for a wizz and the women headed for the nearest field and took a squat – all the heads popping out of the grass was funny to see – us? We’re getting great at holding it in on bus trips.

  Puno is a small town near the border that is pretty. We got a good hotel with views of the lake.

 We headed out to stock up on the usual cheese and bread (great snack) and just as we were finishing up at the market the rain started with some impressive thunder. And suddenly the hail started. Apparently you don’t get a green sky before hail here). We hadn’t seen rain in almost 7 weeks so we had a hoot getting drenched running back to the hotel – the locals must have thought we were nuts. The hail here is like Melbourne, tiny but it’s got quitew a bite whewn it thumps you on the head.

 From the 4th floor we got to sit and watch an amazing light show over the lake with the lightning contiuning for hours. Welcome to the highlands.

Tags: Snow

About thehappyeggs


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.