Existing Member?

The Big Trip. Stephen, Laura, James and Sinead head for an epic adventure: 17 weeks in South America 8 weeks in New Zealand 2 weeks in Fiji 11 weeks in Australia 14 weeks in South East Asia.

Iguazu Falls

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 9 May 2009 | Views [870] | Comments [1]

We arrived to Foz du Iguacu Sunday afternoon after a twenty three hour bus journey from Rio. After a bite to eat near our Pousada we headed to a bar in the city. We were quietly having a drink outside when fireworks went off from a nearby apartment block. Shortly afterwards the streets descended into chaos. Corinthians had just won the cup. An impromptu street party kicked off. Hundreds of people got into their cars and arrived at our location. The streets shut down. People abandoned their cars and danced and partied. The party continued on for at least 2 hours. The Brazilians sure are nuts about their football!! Next day we headed for Iguazu Falls. First we visited the bird park. We all had it in our heads that it would be a small park with a a few birds in cages. The park was amazing, the highlight of the day. We walked through huge aviaries where you got up close to toucans, parrots and many other colourful birds. Next we visited the falls from the Brazilian side. We were all a bit disappointed. Our guide told us Mondays and Tuesdays were the worst days to visit the Falls. Dams upstream were closed at the weekend. Also there had been a three month drought and water levels were a fifth of their normal flow. The views were cool but not the awe inspiring sight we had read about in the Planet. We crossed into Argentina that afternoon. We changed our few remaining Real into Pesos and headed into town to find a bank. We hit all three banks without any joy. Neither our credit cards or pass cards would give us money. That evening was very depressing. We were in a party hostel with feck all cash for drink. Later on we found out that foreign cards can only draw three hundred pesos (sixty euro) at a time in Argentina. Crisis averted. We headed early next day to the bank to get cash. Then we hit the hostel bar to watch United give Arsenal a hiding. James was very depressed. I was delighted. We met a couple from Dublin and a session kicked off at the pool bar. A long night of drinking kicked off. Linda and Pado both ended in the pool at one in the morning. Next day was a repeat performance. After a morning soaking in the sun we hit the bar again and drank till the early hours. Next day in a hung over state we decided it was finally time to go see the falls from the Argentinian side. We met up with Linda and Pado and piled into a taxi with Linda and Pado in the booth... This side of the falls is far more impressive than the Brazilian side. We took a boat trip that brought us up the river and under a waterfall. We all got soaked. It was great craic. Then we headed for Devils Throat. This is the best view of the falls. Its a walkway that goes for about a kilometer from the bank of the river to the edge of the falls. The view from here is just amazing. You get soaked from the spray from the falls. The water thunders over the edge and you cannot see through the mist to the bottom. Very impressive indeed. That night we headed into town for what has definitely been our favourite meal out so far. We found a wok restaurant near the bus station. Delish! We all had lovely meal and dessert and drinks and it came to less than twelve euro per person. We are all well impressed with Argentina. Next stop Buenos Aires...

Tags: argentina, brazil, foz du iguacu, iguazu falls, puerto iguacu

 

Comments

1

hey nade sounds like your having a ball your looking well tell laura i said hi keep safe keep us posted on your goings miss you
sinead

  snead mahony May 14, 2009 8:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.