Existing Member?

That's Hamori

Car boot Sales Salleles-d'aude

FRANCE | Tuesday, 17 July 2012 | Views [1456]

On the canal

Sallèles-d’Aude is a commune in the Aude department in southern France. The Canal de Jonction, part of the La Nouvelle branch of the Canal du Midid, runs through the middle of the town making this a tourist hotspot during the summer months.

Drive into

Our lovely friends and neighbours Celine and Lucas took us on our first car-boot sale adventure.

Carboot sales for those of you from Canada or America are a garage sale or flea market. They pop open their car trunks or ‘car-boots’ and sell their goods out of them.

I know it is not a French term but with so many English residing here I am learning new terms.

I think the French term is “Vide Attelier” or empty attic for these sales.

These flowering trees lined both sides of the street as we made our way to the canal’s side welcomed our drive into this sweet town.

Alfonz and Adrian

Alfonz and Adrian led the way to the deals waiting us at the flea market. We found children’s clothes, barely worn for 1 Euro each. I managed to pickup a pair of leather shoes, never worn for 3 Euros. A great place to also buy hardly used toys, in the world where we buy them everything and they use nearly nothing. For Daniel who was spending the day with our family friend Mallory, we picked him up 2 knight figurines to help out with his latest obsession of making castles out of toilet paper rolls.

A great place for tools and women’s clothes but pretty much anything you can imagine. I am definitely making this our weekly ritual and hitting different local car-boot sales each week.

I found a beautiful steel based potholder with solid brass planter for 4 Euros. Wanting more, I tried my hand at the art of bartering, and got them down. It will make a lovely gift for a friend with absolutely everything whose birthday is just around the corner. I bought her a plant last year that should be just about ready to leave the original planter it came with.

Walking Path

We also picked up some beautiful vine-ripened tomatoes for 2 Euros, which normally would have been three times that at the Intermarche.

The streets were packed with locals looking for a great deal. A few cold drinks and crepes were offered along the way to take the edge off while strolling and rummaging through people’s things.

That’s Hamori

 

 

Tags: car boot sale along the canal, travel southern france with kids

 

About thatshamori


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.