Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

Over the Harbour - or should I say under?

CHINA | Thursday, 17 March 2011 | Views [438] | Comments [1]

Started the day with another big walk, after our buffet breakfast of cornflakes and toast, to Kowloon Park. It was lovely - with a great variety of birds in beautiful settings including flamingos, sweet rosy billed ducks and other exotic varieties from South America. There was also an interesting sculpture walk but the visit to The Heritage Centre could have been given a miss unless you are visiting and don't have time to go to the Museum. It does contain some educational artifacts. Mum bought a 4-wheeler case as my backpack was overflowing with combined purchases. Packed up our things back in the hotel then put it in storage as we headed out to explore Mong Kok. After finding a Swatch store to buy a new band and battery, we wandered the flower markets - what a glorious sensual experience - a feast for the yes as well as nostrils- why can't we get florists doing such creative work back in Sandgate??? (It will be difficult coming home from the diverse blend of cosmo', ultra modern and trad' HK to (backwards) Brissy. Spent a little time in the Ladies Market without finding too much to spend money on. At peak time (badly timed), we lugged our gear onto the packed MTR and enjoyed the speedy ride, under the Harbour, to Causeway Bay on the Island. From here, we walked in all directions trying to find our hotel's street. Eventually we discovered that it began with another name which wasn't on our map. Butterfly On Morrison, a boutique Hotel, is modern, clean and a bit funky with quality fittings and our room on the 16th level has magnificent views of Happy Valley Racecourse, the inland mountains and our skyscraper surrounds - gorgeous. The only draw back here is the computers- only 2 Macs (can't stand them) in the lobby with no seats and often people mumbling in the background wanting to get on when you've been there for only 3 minutes. At present, we are in a Cafe Lounge using a computer after purchasing some garlic bread. Unfortunately I haven't been able to download any photos here. Worried we would get lost again (in the dark now) we found an Italian restaurant close to us - The Spaghetti House - and devoured lasagne and vegies for  the very reasonable cost of less than $10 each. We are finding that food in HK is not that expensive. I had read many places that budget would be under $40 a day, but we have never spent that. Some days we have only spent $14 on food all day. There are many food markets (some outdoors still)which we haven't eaten at yet as it only costs a little more to find lovely looking eateries where food costs between $5-$10 AUD. The servings of food are American sized as are drinks - the smallest coffee/tea here in cafes is a mug size. And may I compare to Australia again - sorry!!!! The food we have had is much better than home- we've had cheaper and better Thai, Indian, cakes, Korean, Chinese (of course), Italian and even Maccas! The variety is incredible - haven't made it to one of the many Vietnamese eateries yet. Another big day over.

Comments

1

I have to say girls, that everytime I read your blogs I end up feeling hungry.....

  Leanne Williams Mar 28, 2011 7:37 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.