Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

An epic 13 hour day!

CHINA | Tuesday, 15 March 2011 | Views [646] | Comments [3]

Following a decent buffet breakfast in our hotel, we visited a local temple (over 100 years old) which was quite lovely (and smokey). Made our way to the post Office after that to happily discover that posage here is quite cheap so sent a few things home including part of Nim's birthday present. back at the hotel, we packed our day pack with map and itinerary in hand and went out to explore what Hong Kong mainland has to offer. We had allowed a couple of hours for the Museum of History as we had heard that it is fabuous bit it was magnificent and we were there for much longer. So much effort has been put in to create realistic replications of buildings, festivals etc as well as interesting displays with cohesive and interesting information. From here we continued to walk the backstreets, zig-zagging our way to the harbour area. We stopped at the infamous Peninsular hotel for high tea. After only a 1/2 hour wait, we were ushered to a table. The service was lovely, the atmosphere and architecture was beautiful and the three tiered plates of mini morsels was scrumptious. We even commented to each other how delicious the Peninsular Afternoon Tea was. What else can we say about it apart from recommending it to everyone - silver service, great people watching spot, filling - value for money etc. A high tea costs the same in Australia and it would be hard to find somewhere with the same quality service and food as well as relaxing, grande surroundings.

To walk off our exhuberant intake of calories, we trotted along the Avenue of Stars, visited the Hong Kong Tourism Board,  meandered around the HK Cultural centre and window shopped at Harbour City. Found a small but exciting exhibition in here by modern russian artists. We became lost on one half of one floor before deciding we should find a way out - I don't know how others navigate all four floors and numerous wings of this centre. Because it was getting late, we chose to stay and watch the Light Show tonight. We were planning to take a cruise next week to watch it but after seeing the 15 minute show, we were glad we hadnt botheréd spending $25AUD each on a  2 hour cruise to see it up closer. It was enjoyable enough watching it amongst the crowds along the promenade. Next we had a leisurely walk home- stopping to look in shops along the way. if you look hard enough, there are clothing and luggage bargains to be found everywhere, however, haven't bought anything like that yet. After 13 hours out and about, we were relieved to get in our room, take of our shoes, wiggle our toes and shake loose our already sore calf muscles. Now, we both want to get to bed. Chao.

Comments

1

Book me in for your next visit to the Peninsula Hotel - High tea sounded wonderful!! Nundah's Queenies tea house will never quite live up to scratch now!!
XXX.

  Fran Mar 16, 2011 1:41 PM

2

Hello mum,
Swimming carnival was today, I came 2nd in everything! Yundah won, Harry came 1st in everything (of coarse). I was in the relay team for the all grade team (yundah came 1st), the grade six relay team (yundah came first), because there Pp no grade seven yundah boys participating Harry and I ere selected for the grade 7 relay team ( yundah came second, pretty good for a team with two grade six boys in it.

On the way riding to school yesterday we found a guinea pig cage, seeing it was only up the street from dads I ran back withit. It is a really good cage, says dad. now Nimah is even more keen on guinea pigs.

Grandma arrived today, she and dad came to the swimming carnival at around 10:30 and stayed for most of the carnival. Grandma had bad news to tell, Angus was going to be put down because all night he would have a fit then go hypo and the whole thing would happen again. The doctors said that he has a brain infection. Today Bob was going to the the doctors to get blood tests and antibiotocs for Angus. Bob got lots of t-shirts Thailand and because he's got to big around the middle he gave the shirts to dad.
Looking forward to your arrival,
Love from ASHER

Hello Mummy
I hope you are having a great time in HK. At the swimming carnval today I came first in every heat but didnt win any finals but got one ribin it was a second not very good I thort i would do better atleast I got a ribin it was really fun I loved it. Asher got 4 second ribins. Yandha won! Miss you so much love you so much. See you in ten days. Ebony got the madourlin. Love from Nimy Noo

  Ash+Nim Mar 17, 2011 9:00 PM

3

High tea sounds fantastic - when I was in HK last we didn't get to go and do high tea at the Peninsula, although it had been on my list... oh well - could do without the calories I guess!!!
hugs Leanne

  Leanne Williams Mar 28, 2011 7:35 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.