Existing Member?

Horner travels ... Of all the pages in a book, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport...

Terri 18-3-10

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 21 March 2010 | Views [321] | Comments [1]

Our hotels incredibly steep and narrow staircase

Our hotels incredibly steep and narrow staircase

Hi to all follwing our trip or looking in from time to time and sending in messages especially new ones from Mel and co., Fiona and co. and I hope that all is going well for you guys - Leanne, Steve and Ethan - hope your tunmmies were bubbling with excitement as you left on you glorious journey!

Arrival in Hanoi

The scenery between Danang and Hue was magnificent as the 20+ carriage train snuck up the mountain along the cliffs meeting the sea. We all quietly peered out our windows for hours and were glad our train had left at the perfect time to witness theis beautiful unspoilt fishing area of Vietnam's coast with the odd spotting of timber huts.It even looked like there may have been some surfable breaks. After 14 hours on the train (a much more rrelaxing experience than a bus trip - felt safe) we arrived in Hanoi in the dark hours at 4:30am. The kids woke easily with excitement which was followed by a few hours waiting for light at the train station. After taking in the sights around Hoam Kien Lake (mainly unusual forms of exercise as well as Tai CHi by all ages and shapes) we found our way to the Bamboo Hotel - thanks to Roger and Kathy for recommending- where they gave us a breakfast (not free but we were grateful for the early feed) and then showed us to a room with a little balcony overlooking the old town. It was clean and comfy and included a decent breakfast with a choice from both Western and Vietnamese meals. This morning we had a lovely rolled omelette, french toast and a mango pancake with honey as well as coffees and lemon drinks. Started to look at day packs and shoes around our area - all shops in clusters yet again making it easy to compare prices and styles. Bought tickets to the Water Puppet Show for the afternoon which is meant to be the best in Vietnam and then went to 72 Ma May for lunch - another recommendation which we greatly appreciated - it was our best meal in Hanoi as we stuffed up with our own choices after that! We had a mouth watering garlic (and other flavours) choko dish (who'd blieve it?), rice, lime chicken and pork rolls covered in greens - very salty and tasty. The water Puppet Show was another highlight for the kids especially as we had front row seats. Their skill in movinmg the puppets through the water was graceful as well as exciting and there was a professional troupe playing live music. The female singers were angelic. After this we all had a nap and woke at 7pm! Dinner was ordinary but the kids got some vegie curry into them which they enjoyed and we were glad to have a feed of beans and carrots and not just a variety of unknown wilted green stems.

 

Comments

1

Wow,
I wish I could see the water puppet show it sounds so wonderful!

I am so thrilled that you are all getting to see such wonderful sights whilst you are away.
hugs to all
Leane

  Leanne Williams Mar 22, 2010 7:26 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.