Existing Member?

Noodles for Breakfast Team of Giants is composed of The Lion and The Ladyhawk. Lion goes "ROOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRR" and Ladyhawk goes "CAAAAAAWWWWW???????".

Take a Stroll and Enjoy the Scenery at Your Pace: Hoi An

VIETNAM | Friday, 1 June 2012 | Views [910]

Turquoise blue waters of the South China Sea shimmering in the sun, endless white sands line the coast to lose yourself, with palm thatched umbrellas over sand and decks for meditation and relaxation.  All that was missing was the Corona…..or Saigon beer…and we had that!

 

Coming from Hanoi to Hoi An, ironically having the same letters, but different spelling obviously are worlds apart.  It is like leaving New York City and arriving on the beaches of San Diego, leaving tight spaces, fast paces to “no worries,” just cruise and enjoy with the exception of the cultural differences and a lot more empty beach to enjoy on the coast of Hoi An.  Whether you want to stroll the riverfront on a bicycle, grab a bite of Cao Lau (local noodle dish), shop in the local shops, get a suit tailored, cross the ancient Japanese covered bridge or just head straight to the beach and enjoy the wonderful waters, it’s totally up to you. And we pretty much did just that.


We rented bicycles the first day from a lovely older woman selling sodas and waters from a small stand that are sprinkled all over town and decided to tour small lackadaisical “town center” and see what it was all about.  Old, yellow, colonial style buildings with unique doors and verandas make up this area and is bordered by a river where restaurants, boatmen, hang while lanterns line the streets and bridges to allow for a delightful experience, especially while riding around in the evening.  There is some sort of nostalgic peacefulness to riding a bicycle at night, especially while venturing around unknown lands.  You can really lose yourself and we did.

 

The next day we rented a motorbike and headed to the long stretch of white sand that lines the coast of Hoi An.  Undeveloped lands with unfinished resorts line the coast leaving miles of empty beach for personal enjoyment.  We turned down a random side street, passing by small houses and ended to a sand path that lead to paradise.  No one for miles left or right down the beach.  The only sign of civilization was random fisherman in their old wooden boats motoring by.  It was like we owned the beach.  We took it for everything it was and had a wonderful day full of relaxation, love, and strolling.  It was absolutely magnificent.  We ended our night having dinner with some new friends on the riverfront and enjoyed a good nights sleep to wake up and do it again on our final day.


On our final day in Hoi An we headed to the beach on bicycles with our new friends, enjoyed the sea, and did a little shopping.  Now we are on our way to Laos for a brand new type of adventure.  Who knows what lies ahead for this part!

Tags: beach, bicycles, hoi an, japanese covered bridge, relaxing, rice paddies

About teamofgiants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.