Existing Member?

Noodles for Breakfast Team of Giants is composed of The Lion and The Ladyhawk. Lion goes "ROOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRR" and Ladyhawk goes "CAAAAAAWWWWW???????".

Constant Chaos in the Old Quarter

VIETNAM | Friday, 1 June 2012 | Views [511]

I step off the curb and immediately my heart starts racing. Vroom! A flash of noise and exhaust speeds by my face. You read about this Cindy. Just walk slowly across the street. They don’t want to hit you as much as you don’t want them to hit you. The art of crossing the street amidst the sea of motorbikes in Hanoi, Vietnam is more like a twisted version of a Super Mario Game. Mario has to jump from one block to another at the perfect moment to avoid getting blown up by a passing cannonball, except the cannonballs have a far more predictable path and timing than the motorbikes.

All I want is to get to my hotel as quickly and safely as possible. The sidewalks are wide enough but they are just a tease. In the Old Quarter, they also serve as a parking lot for motorbikes and function as a makeshift flea market for the hundreds of locals selling their baskets of furry lychees, bruised bananas, and the enticing sugared donuts.

So, I am forced to walk in between the busy traffic and the cluttered curb. Whack! I unsuccessfully attempted to squeeze between a taxi I thought was not moving, and the baskets of goodies that had overflowed onto the street. The taxi driver decided to move forward as I stepped over a basket and the side mirror hooked my arm. Or did my arm hook the side mirror? Either way, I rebalanced myself quick enough to avoid smashing the fruit below and the imminent bashing the woman would have given me while making me pay for what I damaged.

 

If Hanoi had a soundtrack, it would consist of the myriad of honking horns present on every street at all hours of the day here. Each honk has its own message it is trying to communicate. To the untrained ear they all sound like a collage of painfully annoying sounds that serve no purpose except to disturb. On the contrary, this form of communication is a part of the city’s structured chaos.

Here are some of the honks and their corresponding messages:

1.)   The light, quick, single high-pitched tap of the motos: “Hey I’m right next to you, or I’m passing you”

2.)   The quick succession of loud, sharp honks of motos and cars: “I am coming through the intersection so don’t hit me, or I’m passing you whether you like it or not so let me pass.”

3.)   The very loud, deep, frightening honk of a giant truck that takes up the entire width of the street: “I’m coming up behind you, and if you don’t move I will have no choice but to run you over!”

4.) The echoed horn of the many shuttle buses and tour buses: “ I’m passing you and have a large load of people so you need to let me back in before the oncoming car hits us.”

Tags: hanoi, motos

About teamofgiants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.