Existing Member?

Enjoying Life is Good

50th Wedding Anniversary

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 30 September 2013 | Views [525]

It's no Perth Parliament but the English reckon that it will do

It's no Perth Parliament but the English reckon that it will do

So we left the dull surrounds of London for the bright lights of Oakley or have we got that the wrong way around, no matter we went to Oakley to celebrate a 50th Wedding Anniversary with Maureen and Joe.  We call them our second parents for they are who we have spent the most  time with over the years so fair enough we reckon, not that we call them Mum and Dad or even Aunty and Uncle they are just Maureen and Joe.

We caught the train to Oxford from Paddington station where along the way it stopped at such well known locations as Slough and Reading and before you ask yes we were tempted to hop off before we got to Oxford but of course we resisted the temptation.  Once in Oxford we walked to the car hire place just near the station, jumped into our little black 308 and drove somehow to Oakley for we did not really know what direction we were heading in but none the less we got there with the help of some screen shots that Tara took on her phone and some good guess work.  Once at Oakley after the hugs and kisses it was normality all over again like an old jumper that just feels right.  It is always a great feeling coming back to Oakley.

We had absolutely nothing planned to do apart from celebrate the 50th so we sort of filled in the gaps as we went.  The first day we went back to Aylesbury and saw that the town was in a slow down mode.  Both of the shops that we worked at in 98/99 had gone and the place in general was looking a little sad, even the Woolworths had gone, OH NO NO MORE CHEAP CHOCOLATE!  In all the doom and gloom there was one place that had survived the downturn and that was the old kebab shop that used to serve big unhealthy serves from the spinning stick to drunk and hungry folk just like us.  Hooray for people who like bad food.

After Oakley we went off outlet shopping at Bicester Village and along the way passed the very location that we traded in our old car "Pumps" for a fiver.  Yep sad day that and it was a little sad to see the place again but hey life goes on and who knows maybe just maybe that little car did not get scrapped but is still out there fixed up and tootling along the Motorways right now?  Bicester Village is an interesting place that brings people with a lot of money in to buy from the likes of Prada, Gucci and the like.  Most things that we looked at were way too expensive but Tara bought some shoes and a jacket that I found for her and I tried one thing on but was talked out of spending 150 pound, thatnks guys.  It was worth the look but bloody busy and full of toffs.

Other than that expedition we went to Wendover a lovely little town and had cream tea......YUMMO!  It was worth taking a drive out there as the views from the woods were beatiful and it was a great place to just veg out. 

Waddesdon Bowls on the Sunday saw us drink a lot at very cheap prices and catch up with many of the old faces that we have seen on a number of times before.  It is such a friendly place down there and it was a stunning day too which made it all the better.  A big dinner of Chilli con Carne had me feeling the effects the next morning but it was all worth it a great afternoon and evening.

The Saturday however apart from a quick trip out in the morning to buy presents belonged to Maureen and Joe as it should.  In all the times that the we have stayed there we have never seen so many people come in to visit or hear the phone ring so many times.  It was great to see them willingly take presents and accolades as they NEVER do this and gees why shouldn't they on their 50th, a bloody awesome achievement in anyone's book.  Dinner was at a pub in Worminghall and the food and seeting was awesome.  Old neighbours Beryl and John came along to make a party of 6 and we ate, drank and added a lot of noise to the place, it was great.  It was pretty much everything that we could have wanted from our stay with Maureen and Joe just fabulous.

On the Monday we are not to proud that a little tear was shed as usual as we drove out of College Crescent as they usually are but hey not worries in 6 months tim we get to see them again and that will be great. 

Next stop is London and then Paris all in one afternoon, should be great.

Tara and Paul

 

About tara_and_paul_go_travelling

Tara and Paul at someones 40th

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.