Existing Member?

South America 2007

Peru

PERU | Sunday, 2 September 2007 | Views [651]

Just over two weeks in Peru now and whilst I have to admit I do miss Bolivia, I am having a fabulous time here, loving being in a new different place. Peru is definitely more catered for tourists but this has made it so much easier to meet people, which has been great. Spent many enjoyble evenings in Cuzco haing nice meals and going out with friends I have made.

Leaving Bolivia I arrived in Puno on the other side on Lake Titicaca from where I did a two day tour of three of the Peruvian Islands. Isla del Sol in Bolivia was special beacuse of its beautiful scenery but the Peruvian Islands provided more of a look at a completely different culture as the majority of the local populations still maintain a traditionl way of life. We first stopped at the Uros Islands, which are floating and constantly renewed by reeds that grow on the lake- incredible that people live like this. We then had a long boat ride to Amantani Island where we were split into twos and greeted by the families we would be staying with for the night. I ended up with a lovely old lady in her ramshakle, but comfy farmhouse with great views of the lake. Another beautiful sunset from the Inka ruins on the higest point of the Island. That evening (after a traditional Peruvian dinner cooked by our host on her wood fire in her very basic kitchen) we were dressed up in the typical clothing- big bright skirts with lots of petticoats, white embroidered shirts and waist bands to keep everything up as well as a black shawl worn over the head. Not so easy to dance in!

The next day we visited Taquile Island where the clothes that people wear denotes their marital status. Different coloured skirts for women and different colour hats for men. Seems like a good idea to me!

From Puno I went onto Cuzco. Being the base for visitng Machu Picchu I expected a horrible place but was pleasantly surprised by a lovely, colonial city. Admitidly, there are alot of tourists and I felt as though I could be in a European city rather than South America but it still has lots of charm with old white buildings, original Inka walls, cobblestone alleys, beautiful churches, and lots of very yummy cafes and restaurants.    

Tags: Adventures

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.