Existing Member?

South America 2007

The end of Boliva

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 23 August 2007 | Views [693] | Comments [1]

From Santa Cruz and a very long bus journey I popped back into La Paz for the night. Was lovely to see everyone and catch up.  

From La Paz I went to Sorata, a small sleepy town in a mountain range north of La Paz. Lots of nice walks, reading and relaxing but unfortunately I didn’t get to go on a trek as it poured the day I was supposed to start. Will have to wait until Peru.

Making my way towards Peru I then went to Copacabana, a town on edge of Lake Titicaca. Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world (about 3800m) but I felt as though I was on a Greek island as the waters were a beautiful blue and the surrounding countryside quite rugged. I met a lovely American couple here and went with them to Isla del Sol, a nearby Island. The Island is covered in Inca ruins and according to Inca mythology is the birth place of the sun. We got a (very slow) boat to the north of the Island from where we walked to the south along a high ridge with beautiful views of small villages and bays on the island. I can see why they call in the birthplace of the sun, I have never seen such an incredible sunset.

Back to the mainland and then to the other side of the lake and Peru! I have absolutely loved every minute of Bolivia and every incredibly different place I have visited. Rich, diverse culture and landscapes, wonderful people and gorgeous children, lots of bargains and always something new and different to discover. I am excited about moving on to a new country but at the same time I know I will miss this place. It’s only the food that I won’t miss; potatoes, rice, potatoes and more rice! I never knew there were so many varieties of potato! The only Bolivian food worth a mention is Saltenas, small Cornish pasties filled with veggies, chicken and a yummy sauce.    

Tags: Relaxation

 

Comments

1

Hi Tammy,
Have just caught up with you but have been with you in spirit.Your news and photos are fantastic and such a joy to share.I have never replied to a "blog" before so don't know if this will reach you with all my love.Still no house as money not yet through, but am now in Val's cottage and getting sorted out.Will write to your hotmail and see if it reaches you.LUV YOUXXXXXXXX

  Gill Sep 4, 2007 2:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.