Existing Member?

South America 2007

Life in La Paz!

BOLIVIA | Thursday, 19 July 2007 | Views [860]

Have now been in La Paz for 2 weeks! cannot believe how quickly it has gone! Thought it was about time to let u all know what I have been getting up to.

Spent last weekend at the Salar de Uyuni doing a 3 day tour with 2 other volunteers I have been working with. We got the bus down to the most Southern east region of Bolivia where our tour started. Most incredible, diverse, bizare scenery I have ever seen. Spent the 1st day on the Uyuni salt flats which is a huge expanse of salt remaining from a dried up lake. Other days were spent visiting lagoons, seeing flamingos, volcanoes, hot springs and geysers.  Only downside was the cold! At -10 celcius at night your feet dont ever get warm no matter how many pairs of socks you have on!

The rest of my time in Bolivia has been spent in La Paz working with the kiddies! The childcare centres are run by a charity called Ceprosi that primarily works with women who have suffered domestic violence. The childacare centres are for poor communities and look after children for parents who need to work during the day and cannot afford alternative care. The centre I have mostly been working at usually has about 20 children ranging from 1 to 6.  

I start my day with a 20p fruit salad from the market and then a 2hour a Spanish lesson before heading up to the centre for the afternoon. By the evenings Im usually shattered and have enjoyed relaxing and having dinner with the other volunteers.

To sum up the experience so far, I absolutely love it here! So nice to stay somewhere for a while and really get to know the people and the place.

More news to follow but off now for dinner with everyone.

Hope u r all having a wonderful summer, and are warmer than I am here!

Tags: Work

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.