Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

It finally happened...

INDIA | Monday, 6 April 2009 | Views [724] | Comments [5]

...I got sick.  Delhi belly.  Food poisoning.  Traveler's diarrhea.  Call it what you will, all I know is, it sucks.  It  especially sucked when it started during our overnight 10 hour train ride from Mumbai south to Goa.  What a delightful experience, trying to use a squatter toilet on a fast-moving train in the middle of the night.  Ah, India.  Hopefully I'm almost over it, it's only supposed to last about 36 hours, right?  Well, this is day 3, the vomiting was only on the first day (neon yellow, cool, huh?), but I still can't venture too far away from my bathroom.  Luckily we're at the beach and have no itinerary so I've just been lying in my private beach hut ($6/night, not too shabby!) during the day with the fan on full blast, taking many many cold showers and occasionally venturing out for some food (prepared as bland as they can make it) from the restaurant next door.  I've still managed to meet some nice friendly people, though, mostly drunk or stoned British men but also the occasional friendly Canadian and overly friendly Nepalese waiter.  Maybe it's for the best, though, if you're gonna get sick, might as well do it at the party beach.  It's keeping me away from the alcohol, anyway...

It was bound to happen.  I couldn't push my luck any further, traveling  for 6.5 months and never getting sick was just too good to be true.  Sigh.  Think I'm gonna run to the bathroom now.

 

Comments

1

Oh Syl, I do hope this doesn't color your whole India adventure. Here's some perspective: When I first got to in-country training in Hoshungabad, MP, I came down with amoebic disentary and malaria at the same time. 3 weeks of hell. So, I feel for your misery! But remember, this too shall pass, though never soon enough.

  Uncle Larry Apr 7, 2009 5:49 AM

2

And when Uncle Larry traveled to Bangladesh we was fine until he had the airline food coming home. But from the sounds of it, you seem resigned to it and know what to do. And you still have your sense of humor about you. How is Michelle?
Love you in sickness and in health.
Mom

  sylvia mom Apr 7, 2009 7:49 AM

3

Oh no! I am sorry this had to happen. I am glad though that if it had to be, it was somewhere with a bathroom of some kind. You have been in less 'comfortable' surroundings..ha..
I hope you feel really great soon...Take care and know what a special gift you and your wriings and pictures have been ..Looking forward to more when you feel better...Gail

  gail Apr 7, 2009 9:00 AM

4

So I'm writing this on Tuesday and I hope you are feeling at least a little better than yesterday. Aargh---what an ordeal. And somehow that sense of humor does still manage to shine through! Feel better...and better...and better.....

  Aunt Lynn Apr 8, 2009 5:25 AM

5

Hope you're better! It could be worse...you could be sick in Syracuse!

  Bunny Apr 10, 2009 10:49 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.