Existing Member?

notes from the best city in the world

So an Englishman, an Irishman and a Sydneysider walk into a rugby game ...

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 27 June 2009 | Views [208]

We love our sports and it was great to know that Dervs and Cuzzy were into some of the good stuff, including tonight's main attraction - rugby union. While Cuzzy was more of a rugby league fan he was more disappointed about going to a sports game with girls. Sorry Cuzzy! 

Surprised by the much cooler temperatures (especially after such a mild day) Dervs was ready for some action to warm her up. What she hadn't counted on was how laid back Wallabies fans are. For the first 10-15 minutes of the game we were surrounded by French supporters (who for some reason then disappeared for the rest of the game) who were chanting madly. Don't get me wrong, the crowd cheered when we were up, booed when we were down, and drank til ... well til they were down as well. But the atmosphere is still pretty chilled and relaxed.

Cuzzy managed to keep himself entertained by the introduction of a common Australian species to the crowd: sheilaraurilius boganus, aka the Bogan Sheila. But wait til you hear how he described it:

"an Australian girl who was a spitting image of Princess Leila from Star Trek, decided to get absolutely hammered and make a fool of herself."

Yes, he did mean Princess Leia and yes, he did mean Star Wars. He blamed the jetlag. How much longer are we going to let them get away with that excuse??

The Wallabies beat France comfortably however according to Dervs "most importantly after waving vigorously and doing a serious of dances I got my face on the big screen!!" You might want to check someone else's blog for the description of the crazy Irish girl trying to get on the big screen. I'm sure it's out there.

So we could have given them a meat pie at the game but we decided to take them to the best place in Sydney to have a pie - Harry's Cafe de Wheels. Check it out here.

Tags: food, rugby, sports, sydney

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.