Existing Member?

The adventures of Sy ollow the adventures of Sy as she roams the globe in a hot air balloonm, coming down to earth only to dine on the finest cuisines the world has to offer, and maybe a beer or two. Stay tuned for tantalizing tidbits, fantastic photos, and a few randon musin

Helmut and Leona...an interesting train trip.

GERMANY | Friday, 11 April 2008 | Views [287]

I was catching an overnight train to Berlin (another story in itself), and as luck would have it I was placed in a cabin with three burly looking German men. They were polite enough, and even helped me to lift my bags up onto the rack. However for the remainder of the trip they sat steely faced either staring at the floor, sleeping with one eye open, or staring out the window. This is all but normal for the Germans as they are a very stoic race, but there was one guy that was particularly interesting. I am going to call him Helmut for the purpose of this story (a common male German name). Helmut was particuarly mean looking; jaw clamped shut, and mouth in a thin straight grimace. Meticulously shaved beard and eyes narrowed to slits. Helmut sat staunchly upright in his black leather jacket for the the best part of the journey, this man was serious business! As the train careened through the countryside I started to drift off to sleep, however just as i'd started to drift off I started to hear Leona Lewis' song Bleeding Love, at first I thought I was actually dreaming and it was in my dream, but it started to get louder and louder until I was completely awake and aware that the song was coming somewhere from in our cabin. I shifted positions and while doing so stole a quick glance around the cabin at the men, and sure enough Helmut had his ipod on blasting out Leona Lewis. Helmut played that song the ENTIRE trip to Berlin - eight long hours on a train with Helmut and Leona Lewis. I swear I know every word off by heart now. So after eight hours of Leona pumping away on the ipod I came to the conclusion that poor Helmut wasn't as mean as he looked, he was simply heartbroken!!!

About sy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.