Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Road trip with Elli and George!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 17 May 2010 | Views [518]

After my 6 weeks contract, I was heading to visit Barb and Ox one last time before I went to Fiji and Aussie.  My flatmate Elli was heading down to Wellington in her van (aka George) and was looking for someone to accompany her.  As I was heading in that direction we decided to make a road trip out of it.  We left Sunday morning for Auckland where we spent the night by a public washroom stop near the ocean.  We couldn’t decide where to go after Auckland so that night we made the decision to ask a random person downtown Auckland where they would go if they only had one night.  

The next morning Elli had to sort out her car insurance so I did a little shopping. After everything was sorted we started our search for this unexpected participant. We came across this lovely couple and they were more than happy to help us. They suggested Waihi Beach and that was it, our destination for the night.  Out of the city just before lunch we headed to Silva Park for some major shopping. 3 hours later with a few bags in hand and no more energy to even look at a store we were off to Waihi Beach.

We made it to the beach just before dinner time and unfortunately it wasn’t the greatest weather but we made the most of it.  We went for a walk on the gorgeous beach, cooked our dinner and opened a bottle of wine each. :)  Wine and good company, you can never go wrong. After a few glasses and several stories exchanged we decided to call it a night.  The next morning we rose to a very gloomy day but still the beach looked beautiful. A cold shower outside in the morning and leftover dinner for breakfast we were already to continue our road trip.

With lots of time to kill before we had to be at Barb and Ox’s place, we decided to drive down the coast.  We stopped for lunch at the Kiwi 360 in Te Puke, got lost in Tauranga and stopped for pictures by this beautiful beach on the coast. We arrived In Putaruru with Pizza Hut in hand just in time for dinner.  Elli spent the night and got to meet my New Zealand family. All and all it was a great 2 day road trip.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.