Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Happy New Years!

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 8 February 2010 | Views [556]

I was lucky enough to spend New Years with friends I had made while traveling Europe in 2008.  It’s rather funny how we met Sarah and Steve, Eric and I met them first in Salzburg, Austria.  We shared a few drinks and played cards. Then we saw them again in Munich, Germany when we went to visit our friends in their hostel they were sitting in the common room playing cards. This time we exchanged emails and a few laughs. But that’s not all folks, (haha sorry always wanted to say that) we were sitting in our hostel in Barcelona, Spain having breakfast when Sarah and Steve walk in. You can only imagine are surprise it’s one thing meeting twice in Europe but three times that’s bizarre.

When I told them I was coming over to their part of the world they made me promise I would come visit them.  Tom, the friend I had been traveling with the last week, was heading to Christchurch for New Years so I decided to contact Sarah and Steve and see what their plans where for New Years.  When I told them I would be in Christchurch they insisted I stay and celebrate the New Year with them, they even came to pick me up at the airport!  It was very nice to catch up with them after nearly 2 years.  They recently purchased their first home and are getting married in March 2010.  Congratulation Steve and Sarah... I am really happy for both of you! :)

We celebrated New Years at a house party, one of Sarah and Steve’s friends house.  Everyone was very friendly, like most kiwi’s are, they welcomed me into their home and made me feel part of the gang.  It was a great night; great conversation, a few drinks (maybe a few too many but that’s another story) and lots of laughs. The next day was a hard one; most of the day was spent in bed and curled up on the couch watching a movie. We were all hung-over and tired so the resting time was very welcomed. I was off to bed early because I had an early start on the Kiwi Bus; next stop Kaikora.

Thanks Steve and Sarah for a great time!

Steve, Sarah and I :)

Steve, Sarah and I :)

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.