Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

They don't call it the world's harshest environment for nothing (Mongolia)

MONGOLIA | Tuesday, 12 August 2008 | Views [2863] | Comments [2]

Day 11 – At White Lake

The night was a cold one, and we huddled deep into our sleeping bags.

The wood-fired stove had gone out relatively early. It was raining when we went to bed, and turned from a steady pour to a full-on gale during the night. I awoke several times during the night when the whole ger would shake under the gusts. I doubted the stability of a structure which is basically shaped like a wing, but I needn't have. Eventually the storm blew through without tearing our room from over our heads.

We never once had a stove with a flue or any other means to control the speed of wood consumption in the stove. Add more wood, and it would burn hotter, but never very long. This was less of an issue on the previous nights, when the desert would turn cold, but not bitter. Here the air was thin and damp, and the night very, very cold – spilling into your sleeping bag through any uninsulated parts.

The stove is made of thin metal, and so holds no heat of its own. I was tempted several times to add some stones to the stove so that at least something would contain heat during the night, but never did. I doubt it would have really worked anyway.

The sun rises early, and I could see the light out the little window of our ger. Lots and lots of light. It was still very cold, but nature called. I did my best to pull on my fleece and socks before getting out of my sleeping bag. When I opened the ger door I was nearly blinded by the high mountain light. It was then that I realized it had snowed during the night.


It was very beautiful, and I grabbed my camera for a few photos before I crawled back into bed.

By the time I reawoke, the snow had already surrendered much of its substance to the sun, now high over us.


It was a lazy day, and we used the cold and snow as an excuse to abbreviate our ventures outdoors and to bury our noses in books and card games. That afternoon we opted to go on a horse ride, in part because Andre and Natalya had forged the path for us and been supplied traditional Mongolian riding coats by our hosts. Thick and woolen, we wore these over our winter digs with much success.


Note though, that the sleeves on this thing are supposed to be so long as to cover your hands (obviating the need for gloves). It was fun, but these horses were super slow, I could have easily outpaced them in flip-flops, much less in hiking boots and with a good walking stick.


It snowed again that night, and the next morning we were prepared, but no less enchanted by the lighter dusting.

We packed the van and were off the next morning. It would take us two days of long rides to get back to UB, but we were now on our way home. The back of the van seemed suddenly VERY full. I lifted the tarp to see what the extra load was. Apparently coming up short of engines to work on, Bud, Rink and Doc had helped the family cut and split firewood. In return, Doc was taking home several unplit logs of firewood for his family.


Day 12 – Drive to Kharkorum

On the way to Kharkorum, we got another flat tire.

The route to Kharhorum took us through Tsetserleg, and we again had lunch at the only real restaurant in 300 miles. We actually got to meet one of the owners, but forgot to ask what religion he was a missionary for, so this remains a mystery. In any case, I am happy to report that he is a very friendly emissary for whoever it is.


At Kharkorum we had time to explore the old empirical palace. Ghengis Khan never established a permanent capital, instead maintaining the mobility that gave the Mongols their initial strength. But his grandson, who would briefly rule the eastern half of the empire, built a capital to rival the ages here. Tribute poured in from across the known world – the Mongol empire stretched from the Pacific, past the Urals along the shore of the black sea, and to the edge of Egypt. It was Kharkorum that was visited by Marco Polo.


Little remains of the original capital, in part because much of the greatest treasure went with Kubla Khan when he moved his capital to what is now Beijing and became the Chinese Emporer. But some buildings are being restored, and the original palace walls are in place.


That night we commissioned a performance of traditional Mongolian music in our ger. The two musicians were throat singers and played several traditional instruments. It was very cool.


Though we had decended quite a bit in altitude, the winter weather had followed us. That night it snowed. The loo was only fifty feet or so away from the ger, but the door wasn't on it's hinges, just sort of propped at an angle that provided for some modesty unless you are standing right in front. Not that it would have mattered much, the wood for the walls was rough hewn, and the gaps between the boards was wide enough for your pinky. The outhouse also backed against the fence, the other side of which provided backboard for a basketball hoop.

When we first got here Susan aborted a trip to the loo when the transparency of the fence and the proximity of kids playing basketball basically meant that that you had anonymity but not privacy. It was all academic at this point, you don't spend two weeks camping in the desert without learning some skills to politely avert your attention, except that the gaps admitted both sight and snow.

It snowed that night, and the wind howled. I ventured forth from the ger late in the night, and could see only a few feet with the light from my headlamp. The lowing snow was so thick and fast I thought it was a sandstorm. But the next morning the wind had calmed and in the light of day we could clearly see the five-or-so inches of fresh snow on the ground. It would make for an interesting drive to UB, as the wind had calmed, but the snow was still falling fast.


Day 13 – Drive to UB


As much fun as we had had camping, the prospect of a pivate room and a real bed with sheets was very welcome. No amount of snow, slippery road, or near-collisions with sliding trucks could dampen our enthusiasm.


It was a long drive, and the morning was white-knuckle as we weaved around cars and trucks mired in the deep snow. Four wheel drive is the norm here, but the sheer depth of the snow made ground clearance an equally vital factor. We passed many, many other vehicles that would have to wait for the afternoon sun to melt the snow before they would be able to proceed.

Eventually we did escape from under the storm, and as we approached UB the route cleared. We even started to recognise that we were driving on a real road. The foreign aid dollars are being put to use on infrastructure, and a big priority is the linking of population centers. This was the first place we saw any pieces of real construction equipment. Haulers, loaders, dozers, graders, and the like (I noted with a tinge of nationalistic sadness that most were Bombardier, and none Catapillar). And we saw them rather up-close.

The road is under construction but it is still the road. There are no flagmen, detour signs, or closed roads. Cars weave around moving construction equipment, and occasionally we found ourselves on the wrong side of berms of gravel or soil that were stretched for kilometers without a break, awaiting the crews to lay the foundation for the road. Several times we came to a point in the road where the entire tarmac was blocked by a pile of rock. Sometimes there was a rather redundant sign with an arrrow indicating that you can't go straight. So it was that even where there was paving, we spent about half the time paralleling the asphalt.

But we made it, in one piece and with high spirits to the UB guesthouse, hot showers and clean beds. the next morning Susan and I were to fly to Beijing, connecting to Bangkok where we would spend a night before hopping a puddle jumper to Luang Prabang Laos for some rest. This was all part of “Plan B” which we formed when it became evident China was not going to open Tibet as promised. Little did we suspect that Plan B would also be altered by China...


 

Comments

1

Ooh, foreshadowing! Dum dum DUM! I can't wait to hear what happens next.

Amazing. I love the hats.

Tim

  Tim Aug 15, 2008 4:23 AM

2

Wow. that is so crazy. Love it.

  Brian O'Connor Aug 15, 2008 7:56 AM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.