Existing Member?

The Adventures Of Susan & Lars "Where are we going?" said Pooh... "Nowhere", said Christopher Robin. So they began going there...

Getting out of Mongolia and some extra photos... (This is the last Mongolia post)

MONGOLIA | Friday, 15 August 2008 | Views [1596] | Comments [1]

Day 14 – The delay day – good and bad

A 10:40am intenational flight put us at the airport at about a eight. We got out of our cab, hauled our bags in and found the airport mostly deserted. Nobody at the Air China desk, and the information booth not yet open. OK, our 2 ½ hour early arrival was perhaps a bit conservative... We plunked down with our bags and went looking for the monitors. We had checked online the night before, and confirmed our ontime departure. On our double take we noticed that the alternating Cyrillc/Roman announcement was alternating 22:40/10:40pm. Not a typo. Shit.

We had to wait another hour before the Air China staff showed up. A nice long queue, but they did change our Thai Air flight to Bangkok. We would miss our flight to Laos, but that was an online e-ticket, so we were on our own for fixing that.

The staff in UB was pretty efficient. Apparently this happens all the time (as in approaching 80% of the time either huge delays or wholesale cancellations). To their credit they checked in the entire flght to a hotel for the 12 hours, with a bus back and forth and lunch and dinner provided.

At the hotel we caught up on sleep and uploading photos, and made some new friends. There was a really friendly engineer for Thompson, working in Beijing in prep for the Olympics. He had come up to UB to help bid on upgrading their TV networks and to help a buddy pitch a charity project whereby rural Mongolian children would be provided with a sort of watered-down laptop for remote learning. Class materials would then be broadcast across the country directly to the electronic textbooks. We also met a a nice Israeli couple. The five of us had a grand time chatting over meals and learning from each other's travels. We were still sitting in the cafeteria an hour after finishing our meals, long past when everyone else had retired to their rooms. I think Susan regained a little faith in the friendliness of people.

We had a minor misadventure when the hotel tried to charge us something like US$40 for a ten minute phonecall when we had to change our Air Laos ticket (Air Laos, incidentally was very cool and did it all for free). We had asked for instructions on how to use the lobby payphone, but the desk staff said “Oh, just use our phone here at the desk.” Haha, not mentioning that they would charge like US$4 a minute. Fuckers. Hours later as I'm sitting in the lobby using the wireless they present me with the bill. As politely as I can, I tell them where they can put it. OK, actually, I told them they could present it to Air China.

After a tense 30 minutes, with the hotel staff threatening to call the police if I would not pay, and me insisting that they call Air China we settled on a compromise where Air China would pay half, and I would not have to test their bluff and potentially deal with the local authorities in a foreign language over a $20 extortion. I'm pissed that Air China isn't covering this – they so clearly have a cozy relationship with the hotel. But I shelled out. Apparently, my tolerance for extortion is somewhere over $20 and below $40. I wonder where it will be after Africa.

In anycase, we did get on the bus, on the plane and out of Mongolia. Sadly, this did not mean we had had the last of our China problems.

So whatever - our Air China flight from Ulaanbataar to Beijing was delayed 12 hours. The airline claimed a dubious “weather” delay, but this segment is apparently delayed frequently by Air China because there is virtually no competition. We would miss our Thai Airlines, but after waiting at the UB airport for the Air China staff to arrive, they assisted in changing the connecting flights for all the travellers, ourselves included.

But that meant we got in to Beijing a little after 2 am, the day after we were supposed to. Our new connection is 8:30 am; sadly this cost us a full day, as we also miss our Lao Airlines connection to Luang Probang (of phone call infamy). When we got to Beijing there was no staff except the immigration folks, so we got our bags and found a bench to sleep a few hours.

When check-in for our Thai flight opened, we learned that we would be charged a $35 “change fee”. Thai Airlines sent us to the Air China desk, who absolutely refused to pay the fee, and a nice game of finger pointing left us with a credit card charge for $70 (two tickets) and a stamped piece of paper certifying our flight was delayed (not that anyone cared). All this from two Star Alliance “partners”.

It would seem that Air China is so notoriously late, that even their alleged “partners” will no longer waive change fees resulting from their dubious “weather delays”.

We even spoke to the “Duty Manager” in Beijing Airport. This is the largest airport in the world, but the person who asserts they are in charge of the state air carrier in the airport of the capital city of China can't get a $35 charge waived or refunded.

With the ensuing crowds and chaos of the forthcoming Olympics the situation can only get worse. China's transportation infrastructure is at the breaking point already, (the government here plans to compel half of the cars to stay off the road during the Olympic period). One can only imagine what kinds of delays and frustrations the hundreds of thousands of international travellers will face during this period, but there is one thing I can predict with certainty – the challenges at the world's largest airport will be exacerbated by some of the world's worst customer service.


 

Comments

1

Think of it as a $90/1day toll for the honor of going through China. There's an adage about people in the modern "capitalist" China honoring Mao by collecting as many of his portraits (on all the currency) as possible...

Isn't it amazing that the charges they come up with for air travelers are on the same scale as our domestic charges, even when everythng else in the country is 10% of the cost of home?

Hey, did you ever resurrect the Bhuttan pictures? Are we gonna see Susan and Lars on the top of the world, experiencing GNH?

Tim

  Tim Aug 16, 2008 3:20 AM

About susanandlars


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.