Existing Member?

Travelling Teacher

Boxing Day

SLOVENIA | Tuesday, 30 December 2008 | Views [249]

We woke up to a magical winter wonderland on Boxing Day. It was wonderful! After breakfast we went out to the snow for some photos, snowball fights and to make a snowman. It was great fun!


We headed down into the town of Bled to check out the lake, the information centre and a few markets. It was a lovely day but extremely cold. The area was gorgeous and we had a few mulled wines to help with the cold. My sister struggles with the cold, especially her feet, so wherever we stopped indoors (which was quite frequent) she was taking off her shoes and Chris was warming them for her. In fact today her little toe actually went blue today!!

We witnessed a little of the Slovenian culture today. Some people were dressed up in some really lovely old costumes and were doing some dances, staged fighting and explained some of the old culture of the people in and around Bled. They were quite cool.

For dinner we went to this lovely little restaurant where we had a variety of dishes, relatively cheap. The owner gave us a nip of some wonderful blueberry brandy to finish off. It was delicious and so warming!

Back at our temporary home we played some games and watched a movie on Chris's laptop - it was a lovely night in with some great NZ snacks!

We packed for our train trip the next day to Innsbruck.

About suejamieson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.