Existing Member?

Travelling Teacher

Travelling to Innsbruck

AUSTRIA | Thursday, 1 January 2009 | Views [347]

Our trip to Innsbruck was very interesting. After talking to two information offices, checking the internet and our host, we figured that the time on the internet was a better bet and turned up to the train station at 10.00 rather than 10.50 that was suggested to us by the information offices!

At the train station we ran into an older dutch couple who said yes the train was definitely coming at 10.11. I'm so glad we didn't listen to the tourist information people! However, the dutch couple said they weren't surprised by what we'd been told and were rather scathing of the Slovenian ways. According to them, the man who sells the tickets had gone on holiday, so there was no way of buying a ticket and therefore we actually got a free ride up to Villach in Austria because no one came round to check or sell any. We were pleased, cos when the guy did eventually turn up, we had to pay more than what we anticipated.

The scenery was glorious! We were blown away by it and tried to take photos out of the windows every few minutes! The snow on the mountains, around the houses, on the trees, rocks, roads, the ice on the rivers, the frozen over lakes, all of it was wonderful. And the fact that for most of the day the sunshine was out also helped. The only problem we had was we stopped in a station, and assumed that we wouldn't be there long - we stayed there for about an hour. No explanation in english and so we had no idea why. What it did mean is that we missed our connection a few stations down! Thankfully there was another train to go to Innsbruck an hour after we got in.

We arrived in Innsbruck 2 hours after we had planned, but we made it. Our accommodation was lovely. A family run guesthouse (Gasthof Olberg) was lovely. Great rooms, very warm and a restaurant so we didn't need to go out for food again.

That night we sat round and discussed what we wanted to do the next day and had some great traditional Austrian food. Chris had a white bratwurst(white sausage) with mustard out of a tube. Early to bed tonight - after a baileys night cap of course (we kept it in our fridge - outside on our balcony!)

 

About suejamieson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.