Existing Member?

Travelling Teacher

Ljubljana

SLOVENIA | Friday, 26 December 2008 | Views [227]

Well we finally flew out of London on Tuesday. We arrived in Ljubljana and after briefly dropping our bags in at our hostel, headed off to the town area. The town was alive! Everyone was outside having a good time - plenty of awesome lights, markets, people outside under gas heaters eating hotdogs, ciabatta sandwiches and best of all, mulled wine! So of course the saying goes .... when in Rome .... so we joined them! Great hotdogs, and fantastic mulled wine - warmed the insides real well! Had plenty of it cos it was real cold.... bout -3 we found out. And yet, everyone was outside!! So we also sat under a great heater, blankets around our legs, drinking our mulled wine. All this, after we'd perused the markets that were open, and taken plenty of photos of the gorgeous lighting display that Ljubljana had put up. The city really was gorgeous for the evening. Thankfully we were well wrapped up, so it was quite awesome to wander the streets.

When we made it back to the hostel, we found the heating in our room had not worked that well!! :( We all went to bed wearing thermals, woolly socks and beanies - it was so cold!!! Thankfully, by early morning the heating went back on, so by about 6am I was actually too hot to continue wearing my beanie and had the last couple of hours without it on.

We went for a walk around the markets a little, I bought a few little items (including some chocolate and of course some more mulled wine - it really does warm you up). They had an AWESOME fruit and vege market outside, then another one inside that covered bread, meat, cheese, nuts, olives and wine. It was fantastic.

At 1.30pm we jumped on a train to head up to Bled. It was still really cold, but the closer we got to Bled, the better the weather - blue sky & sunshine were there to meet us. It was so nice to see.

 

About suejamieson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Slovenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.