Existing Member?

Travelling Teacher

Ice Skating!

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 23 December 2008 | Views [228]

On Sunday it was my sister Adele's 27th birthday and so I bought her a session of Ice Skating at Hampton Court Palace. Hampton Court Palace is where King Henry VIII spent a lot of time while in England apparently. Now, between late November and early January they erect an ice skating rink. We had tonnes of fun - getting the tube, train and finally a black cab to the rink was all part of the experience. None of us fell over, despite Adele never having skated before and the rest of us not skating for a long time. A major deterrent was that because there was a bit of a wind, (to make us all feel at home of course) and fairly mild temperatures, the ice was melting quickly, therefore there were BIG puddles to fall in! So we were all pleased to stay dry and finish with Mulled Wine or a Hot Toddy afterwards!


Today Adele and I went and did a bit of shopping - mainly for Christmas presents she needed to buy. I showed her a few parts of London that I'd been familiar with (between Oxford St, down Charing Cross Rd, past Leicester Square, through Trafalgar Square, to Embankment Station) and over to Canary Wharf. We also went to the Kiwifruits shop to purchase a few kiwi nibbles for our trip to Slovenia tomorrow.


It is getting so dark here so early, it sure makes it feel a whole lot later than what it is! Coming out of the mall at Canary Wharf today at 3.50pm, it was dark - great to see the lights of London etc, but not the most inviting considering how cold it is.


Tomorrow we fly off to Ljubljana and hopefully some snow - at least it seems worthwhile for it to be cold then!

Til then.....

About suejamieson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.